Is there an Understanding Physics style book for chemistry?

In summary, the conversation is about a teacher who teaches both IB chemistry and physics and is looking for a book similar to Asimov's Understanding Physics for their chemistry class. Another person recommends the CHEM STUDY materials, which focus on teaching chemistry as an experimental science rather than just memorization. They also suggest checking out the Lawrence Hall of Science for these materials.
mrteverett
Hello all,

I am a chemistry/physics teacher and our school also is an IB school. I teach both IB chemistry and physics. I have enjoyed and found useful using Asimov's Understanding Physics as a text of sorts for the physics class. I supplement it with problems from other books and sources. It's great for teaching kids how to read, annotate, and struggle with concepts before getting bogged down in the numbers. My question is: does anybody know of or recommend a similarly styled book by Asimov or someone else on chemistry?

Science news on Phys.org
mrteverett said:
Hello all,

I am a chemistry/physics teacher and our school also is an IB school. I teach both IB chemistry and physics. I have enjoyed and found useful using Asimov's Understanding Physics as a text of sorts for the physics class. I supplement it with problems from other books and sources. It's great for teaching kids how to read, annotate, and struggle with concepts before getting bogged down in the numbers. My question is: does anybody know of or recommend a similarly styled book by Asimov or someone else on chemistry?

Have you looked at the CHEM STUDY materials? These are all online. CHEM STUDY was trying to get away from the memorization that was the norm in the old days, and teach that chemistry was an experimental science, where observation and measurement are king. George Pimentel was the leader of the initiative. His textbook for college chemistry (out of print) has a similar approach. He also wrote some slim volumes called "Understanding Thermodynamics" and "Understanding Quantum Mechanics" that are written with a unique perspective.

You can find the CHEM STUDY materials through the Lawrence Hall of Science.

Thanks I will definitely look into this.

1. Is there a book similar to Understanding Physics that focuses on chemistry?

Yes, there are several books that follow the same format as Understanding Physics but focus on chemistry principles. Some popular options include "Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" by Nivaldo J. Tro and "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Theodore E. Brown.

2. How does Understanding Physics style books differ from traditional chemistry textbooks?

Understanding Physics style books use a more conceptual and visual approach to teaching chemistry, rather than relying heavily on equations and formulas. They also tend to have a more narrative style, making the subject more engaging and easier to understand.

3. Are Understanding Physics style books suitable for beginners in chemistry?

Yes, Understanding Physics style books are designed to be accessible for beginners in chemistry. They often use real-life examples and analogies to explain complex concepts in a simplified manner.

4. Can Understanding Physics style books be used as a replacement for traditional chemistry textbooks?

It ultimately depends on personal preference and the curriculum being followed. While Understanding Physics style books offer a unique and effective approach to learning chemistry, they may not cover all the topics in a traditional textbook. It is best to consult with a teacher or professor before solely relying on these types of books.

5. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials available for Understanding Physics style books for chemistry?

Yes, many Understanding Physics style books have accompanying websites or online resources that provide additional practice problems, interactive simulations, and videos to supplement the material covered in the book. Some may also offer study guides and solutions manuals for further assistance.