Is there any approximation to the two particle density matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the two particle density matrix, which is a single number that is calculated using field operators and satisfies certain commutation relations. The author also mentions a reference where this concept is discussed in detail. There is some disagreement over the terminology used for this expression, with some calling it a density matrix and others calling it a number. However, it is agreed that this expression satisfies certain criteria, such as the quantum Liouville equation.
chuckschuldiner
Let phi(x) and phi_dagger(x) be field operators which satisfy the appropriate commutation relations.

Then is there any analytic approximation for the two particle density matrix given by

<phi_dagger(x)phi_dagger(x')phi(x')phi(x)>

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\langle \phi^{\dagger} (x) \phi^{\dagger} (y) \phi(y) \phi (x) \rangle[/tex]

I'm not thinking this morning - this is a density matrix?

Hi
The author calls it the two particle density matrix. The reference is Phys Rev B, Vol 71, 165104 (2005)

The page number is 165104-3

It most certainly is the field operator version of the density matrix. By the way, this fact has to do with why I called the state |0><0| the "vacuum" in the discussion on the "superposition and kets":
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=124904

The best reference I've seen for explaining why this is the case is Julian Schwinger's "Quantum Kinematics and Dynamics", which is a small classic paperback book that is available cheaply at most good physics bookstores and also on Amazon.

Carl

Rach3 said:
[tex]\langle \phi^{\dagger} (x) \phi^{\dagger} (y) \phi(y) \phi (x) \rangle[/tex]

I'm not thinking this morning - this is a density matrix?

NO, It is a number, a single number. It is neither a density nor a matrix.

the phi's are operator-valued distributions, putting them inside < |...| > gives you a number.

regards

sam

Note from Hurkyl: I fixed the formatting tags so that this will display properly

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the theory, perturbation theory...? And yeah, it's an amplitude not a density matrix.

samalkhaiat said:
NO, It is a number, a single number. It is neither a density nor a matrix. The phi's are operator-valued distributions, putting them inside < |...| > gives you a number.

See, for example, equation (5) of:
http://arxiv.org/abs/nucl-th/9508008

No reason to argue over terminology. And [tex]\rho(x,x')[/tex] is a lot more complicated than just a number.

Carl

Last edited:
CarlB said:
See, for example, equation (5) of:
http://arxiv.org/abs/nucl-th/9508008

No reason to argue over terminology. And [tex]\rho(x,x')[/tex] is a lot more complicated than just a number.

Carl, I know one or two things about the density matrix, so you don't need to point a "reference" to me :smile:

A physically acceptable (unique, hermitian & non-negative) density matrix must satisfy;

1) [tex]<\hat{A}> = Tr(\rho\hat{A})[/tex]

2) the quantum Liouville equation;

[tex]i\partial_{t} \rho (x,x';t) = [H,\rho (x,x';t)][/tex]

So, Carl, be kind and show us how YOU prove that the talked about expession satisfies (1) & (2) ?

I am aware that some people who work on many-particle systems, non-relativistic field theory, DO , occasionally, call;

[tex]<\psi^{\dagger}(\vec{x},t)\psi(\vec{x'},t)>_{0}[/tex]
(in Heisenberg picture)

or,

[tex]<\psi^{\dagger}(\vec{x})\psi(\vec{x'})>_{t}[/tex]
(in Schrodinger picture)

a one-body density matrix!

Well, they are wrong, because these expressions are C-numbers. As such they do not satisfy (1) & (2).

Indeed, from (1) we see that these expressions are equal to;

[tex]Tr(\rho_{0}\psi^{\dagger}(x,t)\psi(x',t))=Tr(\rho_{t}\psi^{\dagger}(x)\psi(x'))[/tex]

where the density matrix;

[tex]\rho(t) = exp(-iHt) \rho(0) exp(iHt)[/tex]

does satisfy the quantum Liouville equation (2).

Don't ask me why, but even the number-density operator

[tex]n(\vec{x})=\psi^{\dagger}(\vec{x})\psi(\vec{x})[/tex]

sometimes is called (by similar people) a density matrix!
I believe, it is a simple case of misuse of language, because these people do a fine work and make use of

[tex]<n(\vec{x})> = Tr \Left(\rho\psi^{\dagger}\psi\Right)[/tex]

in their work!

regards

sam

Last edited:

1. What is the two particle density matrix?

The two particle density matrix is a mathematical representation of the density of a system of two particles, taking into account both their positions and momenta. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the probability of finding two particles in a given state.

2. How is the two particle density matrix calculated?

The two particle density matrix is calculated by taking the outer product of the single particle density matrices for each particle in the system. This involves integrating over all possible positions and momenta for each particle, and can be a complex calculation for systems with large numbers of particles.

3. What is the significance of the two particle density matrix?

The two particle density matrix is important in understanding the behavior of systems with two interacting particles. It can provide information about the correlations and entanglement between the particles, as well as the overall quantum state of the system.

4. Are there any approximations to the two particle density matrix?

Yes, there are several approximations that can be made to the two particle density matrix. One common approximation is the Hartree-Fock approximation, which assumes that each particle is independent and neglects any correlations between them. Other approximations include the mean-field approximation and the time-dependent Hartree-Fock approximation.

5. How is the two particle density matrix used in experiments?

The two particle density matrix is often used to analyze the results of experiments involving two particles, such as in quantum optics or atomic physics. It can also be used to predict the behavior of systems in a controlled environment, and to compare with theoretical models and simulations.