Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there any approximation to the two particle density matrix

1. Jul 28, 2006 #1
    Let phi(x) and phi_dagger(x) be field operators which satisfy the appropriate commutation relations.

Then is there any analytic approximation for the two particle density matrix given by

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2006 #2
    [tex]\langle \phi^{\dagger} (x) \phi^{\dagger} (y) \phi(y) \phi (x) \rangle[/tex]

I'm not thinking this morning - this is a density matrix?
  4. Jul 28, 2006 #3
    The author calls it the two particle density matrix. The reference is Phys Rev B, Vol 71, 165104 (2005)

The page number is 165104-3
  5. Jul 28, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It most certainly is the field operator version of the density matrix. By the way, this fact has to do with why I called the state |0><0| the "vacuum" in the discussion on the "superposition and kets":

The best reference I've seen for explaining why this is the case is Julian Schwinger's "Quantum Kinematics and Dynamics", which is a small classic paperback book that is available cheaply at most good physics bookstores and also on Amazon.

6. Jul 30, 2006 #5

Science Advisor

NO, It is a number, a single number. It is neither a density nor a matrix.

the phi's are operator-valued distributions, putting them inside < |...| > gives you a number.

Note from Hurkyl: I fixed the formatting tags so that this will display properly
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2006
  7. Jul 31, 2006 #6
    Depending on the theory, perturbation theory...? And yeah, it's an amplitude not a density matrix.
  8. Jul 31, 2006 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

See, for example, equation (5) of:

No reason to argue over terminology. And [tex]\rho(x,x')[/tex] is a lot more complicated than just a number.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  9. Aug 3, 2006 #8

Science Advisor

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?