Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there any charge(cost) for subscribing a thread?

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    is there any charge(cost) for subscribing a thread??
    Please I'm really worried...!!!:cry:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, and we don't know who you are, or how we would charge you if there was.

Subscribing is possibly a slightly bad choice for the term.
  4. Oct 21, 2009 #3
    What is the warning...??
  5. Oct 21, 2009 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What warning?

All subscription does is email you when somebody posts to the thread, o you mean your ISP charges for email?

You can also check all the threads you have posted in my clicking "My Pf"
  6. Oct 22, 2009 #5
    lol.. i bet he meant for "warning" in your signature mgb. You scared him;)
  7. Oct 22, 2009 #6
    Speaking of your signature mgb, you really should punctuate that. Right now it's ambiguous; and it has bugged me since I first read it.
  8. Oct 22, 2009 #7

Gold Member

but I really like the signature of mgb
  9. Oct 22, 2009 #8
    What about ISP charges for email?
  10. Oct 22, 2009 #9

Staff: Mentor

No, we do not charge. It merely means that you will be alerted when someone posts to the thread.
  11. Oct 24, 2009 #10

Gold Member

Since the subject has arisen, what might be causing spontaneous subscriptions? I've never subscribed to any thread, but every once in a while I start getting tons of e-mails reporting that someone has posted. Then I have to go into my control panel and unsubscribe to a bunch of threads. They're always threads that I have posted in, rather than just random ones, but I don't want the notifications.
    I don't care much, since it's only a minor nuisance, but I'm curious.
  12. Oct 24, 2009 #11

Gold Member

Edit options >>Messaging & Notification >>Default Thread Subscription Mode >>Default Thread Subscription Mode
    then choose "Do not subscribe".Otherwise it automatically add threads you post in , to your subscribtion list!:smile:
  13. Oct 24, 2009 #12
    Or you can just disable the email notifications.
  14. Oct 25, 2009 #13

Gold Member

Thanks, guys. It's already set to 'do not subscribe'. I'll switch it to 'no e-mail notifications' and see what happens.
  15. Nov 1, 2009 #14

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Rohit! :smile:

If your ISP is charging you, you can go to the User Control page (click "My PF"), click "Edit Options", and choose "No email notification" …

you'll still be subscribed to all your threads, so you can easily check them all at once by clicking on "Subscribed Threads" in the "Quick Liinks" menu on the toolbar. :smile:
  16. Nov 1, 2009 #15

Science Advisor

Also, either dump your ISP, or get a free mail service like Hotmail, GMail, or even Yahoo. Being charged per e-mail is ridiculous. Then again, your bandwidth probably isn't cheap, either.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook