1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Is there any command in Fortran that is similar to eval in MATLAB?

1. May 26, 2010 #1
    Hello,

I am trying to write a Fortran subroutine to solve non-linear equations (given by external function fnxname) using Newton's method, where the derivative is given by finite difference calculation. How may I use the function in the program.

Suppose the desired function name is given by a string "fnxname", I cannot write fnxname(x), can I? In MATLAB, I may write eval(cat('fnxname','(x)')) or something like that. Is there a similar command in Fortran?

Replies would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2010 #2

minger

Science Advisor

You can either just put the function inside of the main program's file, or put the function inside of a MODULE and INCLUDE that module in the main program. Then you can simply call the function as normal.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook