Is there any physical significance to Wave Amplitude?

In summary: III_toc.htmlIn summary, the conversation discusses the concept of wave amplitude in Quantum Physics and its physical significance. The participants mention the importance of the wave function in calculating probabilities and the role of the Schrodinger equation in predicting its changes. They also advise against getting caught up in alternative interpretations and recommend focusing on the standard interpretation of quantum mechanics.
reis1212
I am studying Quantum physics and I'm having some problems to understand what is the Wave Amplitude since I can't find a physical significance to it. Does anyone ever heard something that come close to a physical significance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean the amplitude of the wave function ##\psi(x,t)## which is the solution of Schrodinger's equation?

Also, what book are you studying QM from? You'll get more and more helpful answers if we know what you're working with.

Isn't this a subject of QM interpretations?

reis1212 said:
I am studying Quantum physics and I'm having some problems to understand what is the Wave Amplitude since I can't find a physical significance to it. Does anyone ever heard something that come close to a physical significance?
A key concept in QM is that of the (complex) probability amplitude, which governs how probabilities work and represents a fundamental difference from classical physics.

Yes, the solution of Schrodinger's equation. English isn't my mother language so i didn't know how to refeer to it. I am using Tipler but I didn't find a analogy. Does it even have a physical significance?

The wave function is used to calculate probability of the various measurement outcomes. For example, if position is measured, the probability of observing various positions is ##P(x) = |\psi(x)|^{2}##. The formula is different if one measures another quantity such as energy or momentum, but always involves the wave function.

The Schroedinger equation predicts how the wave function changes with time between measurements. At the point of measurement, the Schroedinger equation does not apply, and the wave function undergoes a discontinuous change called "collapse" or "state reduction" that depends on the measurement result.

Likes reis1212 and vanhees71
To be more precise ##P(x)=|\psi(x)|^2## is the probability distribution for the particle's position. For continuous variables you have always probability distributions rather than probabilities. The meaning is that the probability to find the particle in an "infinitesimally small interval" ##\mathrm{d}(x)## around the position ##x## is given by ##\mathrm{d} x P(x)=\mathrm{d} x |\psi(x)|^2##.

Of course the probability for the particle being somewhere is ##1##, i.e., all this holds if the wave function is properly normalized, i.e.,
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x P(x) = \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x |\psi(x)|^2=1.$$
This is the standard interpretation of the physical meaning of the wave function, and it's good advice to abstain from reading about all kinds of alternative "interpretations" and other philosophical issues until you have a good understanding of quantum mechanics within its standard interpretation. The best interpretation to learn QT is not to bother about these overly confusing (and in many cased also indeed confused) metaphysical ideas but stick to the "shutup and calculation interpretation", which is best expressed in the Feynman Lectures vol. III, which I highly recommend to read in parallel with Tipler. It's even legally free to read online:

https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

• Love
Likes BvU, jtbell and atyy

1. What is wave amplitude?

Wave amplitude is the measure of the maximum displacement of a wave from its resting position. It is usually represented by the height of the wave on a graph.

2. How is wave amplitude related to wave energy?

The wave amplitude is directly proportional to the amount of energy carried by the wave. This means that the higher the amplitude, the more energy the wave has.

3. Is there a limit to wave amplitude?

Yes, there is a limit to wave amplitude. This limit is determined by the medium through which the wave is traveling. If the amplitude exceeds this limit, the wave will break or distort.

4. Can wave amplitude change?

Yes, wave amplitude can change. It can be affected by factors such as the energy source of the wave, the medium through which it is traveling, and any obstacles or barriers in its path.

5. What is the significance of wave amplitude in practical applications?

Wave amplitude has several practical applications, such as in the fields of acoustics, optics, and seismology. It is used to measure the loudness of sound, the brightness of light, and the intensity of earthquakes, among other things.