What is the Role of Sub-Particles in the Existence of Matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of subatomic particles and their behavior in the vacuum. It is debated whether these particles are actively seeking to remain alive or if they are simply a result of the energy ground state. The conversation also touches on the terminology used to describe these particles and suggests further reading to better understand their behavior. Ultimately, it is concluded that there is no interaction strong enough to cause particles to condense in the vacuum state.
Marco DF
Hi everyone!

Here the question(s).

In the vacuum, the sub particles pop up and down (annihilation).
If this is right, we can tell that the all matter is the attempt of sub particles to remain alive?

so, is my glass of wine a desperate attempt of electrons, quarks, and all the other particles, to stay present here and now in this quantum state?

cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is this “sub particle” that you are talking about?

Zz.

Likes vanhees71 and bhobba
Marco DF said:
There is no such process. You might think of virtual particles which you can frequently find in popular science description, but virtual particles are not real (that's why they are called virtual).
The matter you can see is made out of real particles.

Likes vanhees71 and bhobba
ZapperZ said:
What exactly is this “sub particle” that you are talking about?

Zz.
Hi ZapperZ,
I meant the subatomic particles described by the standard model... is it wrong to call "sub particles"?

Marco DF said:
Hi ZapperZ,
I meant the subatomic particles described by the standard model... is it wrong to call "sub particles"?

It is wrong to describe these particles they way YOU did!

Zz.

Likes vanhees71
ZapperZ said:
It is wrong to describe these particles they way YOU did!

Zz.
I'm almost happy to hear that! Mean that i think in wrong way, and i need to fix this. May i ask you what can i read to understand the right way to describe these particles?

Marco DF said:
I'm almost happy to hear that! Mean that i think in wrong way, and i need to fix this. May i ask you what can i read to understand the right way to describe these particles?

Read the responses that you have received.

Zz.

Marco DF said:
Hi everyone!

Here the question(s).

If this is right, we can tell that the all matter is the attempt of sub particles to remain alive?

so, is my glass of wine a desperate attempt of electrons, quarks, and all the other particles, to stay present here and now in this quantum state?

cheers!

If you substitute real particles and seeking lowest energy ground state for virtual particles and attempting to stay alive, I think there is a relationship something like what you are pondering... a relationship between energy and density of particles that attract each other in which the energy ground state with particles is lower than the empty vacuum energy ground state... the particles condensing out of the vacuum lowers the ground energy state.

Maybe someone that recognizes my poor description can clarify the principle.

bahamagreen said:
If you substitute real particles and seeking lowest energy ground state for virtual particles and attempting to stay alive, I think there is a relationship something like what you are pondering... a relationship between energy and density of particles that attract each other in which the energy ground state with particles is lower than the empty vacuum energy ground state... the particles condensing out of the vacuum lowers the ground energy state.

Maybe someone that recognizes my poor description can clarify the principle.
As a particle physicist: I have no idea what you are talking about.

Likes bhobba, vanhees71, weirdoguy and 1 other person
"Normally the "vacuum state", which is the state of minimum energy of a quantum system, is that state in which one expects to find no real particles, because the energy of the system increases as you add real massive particles. If the interactions between the particles are attractive, one might imagine that the minimum energy configuration is not one with an absence of real particles, but rather one in which a nonzero density of real particles "condenses" into this vacuum state."
Krauss, particle physicist

There is no interaction attractive enough to make that happen. The Higgs potential could be in a metastable state and decay eventually, but that is a different topic.

Likes bhobba

1. What are sub particles?

Sub particles are tiny, fundamental particles that make up all matter in the universe. They are the building blocks of atoms and consist of even smaller particles such as quarks and leptons.

2. How do sub particles interact with each other?

Sub particles interact with each other through four fundamental forces: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. These forces are responsible for the interactions between particles and determine the structure and behavior of matter.

3. What is the significance of studying sub particles?

Studying sub particles allows us to understand the fundamental laws that govern the universe, as well as the origin and evolution of matter. It also has practical applications in fields such as particle physics, nuclear energy, and medical research.

4. How do scientists study sub particles?

Scientists study sub particles through experiments using large particle colliders, such as the Large Hadron Collider, which accelerate particles to high speeds and observe their interactions. They also use theoretical models and mathematical equations to understand the behavior of sub particles.

5. Can sub particles be destroyed?

Sub particles cannot be destroyed, but they can be transformed into other particles through processes such as annihilation or decay. According to the law of conservation of mass and energy, matter can neither be created nor destroyed, only transformed.