Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there any way to know what program has visited which disk and when?

1. Jul 31, 2011 #1
    Call me paranoid if you will, but is there any handy tool that keep a track or can find out what program that has a possibility/ability of internet connection, has visited what directory by what time?

It could be a stand alone software, could be something that comes with windows. Does anybody knows any?

I have scanned my system disk and it always comes clean, but I think it is wise to be vigilant... all the time.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2011 #2
    I believe that if you set your security settings high enough only those programs included on the exception list will be given access to the internet. Correct me if I am wrong.

4. Jul 31, 2011 #3

Borg

Gold Member

Do you mean a firewall? If a program attempts to connect to the internet, it will alert you and you can decide whether to let it connect. I use a free version of ZoneAlarm and it works very well.

5. Jul 31, 2011 #4

Yes, you are correct, however I still feel there may be trojans sophisticate enough to by pass my firewall undetected, or inject itself into other legit program. And I don't think it my concern has no reality basis.

6. Jul 31, 2011 #5
    ZA is an excellent firewall, but glitches pretty bad sometimes.

7. Aug 3, 2011 #6

-Job-

Science Advisor

For Windows check Sysinternals (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545027). While i don't know of an app that will yield a report of disk access by app there should be some Utilities that allow you to obtain information on a running process, such as open ports and file handles.

8. Aug 3, 2011 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook