1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there formula for zeres of a cubic polynomial

1. Oct 18, 2012 #1
    is there any general formula to find out zeros of a cubic polynomial that will give you all the zeros ? if not please tell me what are the different methods to find out the zeros , guessing and trial and error , numerical etc. i want to see where are each methods useful and is there any subcategory of cubic polynomial for which we have some specific method to find out all the zeros ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2
    Yes. It's long and inefficient. A google search for "cubic root formula" should do the trick; or just look up cubic polynomials on wikipedia.

4. Oct 18, 2012 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

5. Oct 18, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just because I enjoy doing it, here is a derivation of Cardano's formula:

If a and b are any two real numbers then [itex](a- b)^3= a^3- 3a^2b+ 3ab^2- b^3[/itex] and [itex]3ab(a- b)= 3a^2b- 3ab^2[/itex] so that [itex](a- b)^3+ 3ab(a- b)= a^3- b^3[/itex]. If we let x= a- b, m= 3ab, and [itex]n= a^3- b^3[/itex], we have the [itex]x^3- mx= n[/itex]. That is a "reduced" cubic equation. (Reduced because there is no "[itex]x^2[/itex]" term. Given any cubic equation, [itex]x^3+ px^2+ qx+ r= 0[/itex], we can always replace x by y- a, then choose a so that the coefficient of [itex]y^2[/itex] is 0.)

Now, the question is, suppose we know m and n, can we solve for a and b and so find x? The answer is, of course, yes. From m= 3ab, b= m/3a so that [itex]n= a^3- b^3= a^3- m^3/3^3a^3[/itex] and, multiplying through by [itex]a^3[/itex], [itex]na^3= n(a^3)^2- (m/3)^3= 0.[/itex] That is a quadratic equation for [itex]a^3[/itex] that we can solve using the quadratic equation:
    [tex]a^3= \frac{n\pm\sqrt{n^2- 4(m/3)^3}}{2}= \frac{n}{2}\pm\sqrt{\left(\frac{n}{2}\right)^2- \left(\frac{m}{3}\right)^3}[/tex]

Since [itex]a^3- b^3= n[/itex],
    [tex]b^3= a^3- n= -\frac{n}{2}\pm\sqrt{\left(\frac{n}{2}\right)^2- \left(\frac{m}{3}\right)^3}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012
  6. Oct 26, 2012 #5
    i also enjoyed it :smile: but find little tough to get it ,i need to apply it for a polynomial thanks .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook