Is there formula for zeres of a cubic polynomial

In summary, there are multiple methods for finding the zeros of a cubic polynomial, including guessing, trial and error, and numerical methods. However, the most efficient method is using Cardano's formula, which can be found by searching "cubic root formula" or looking up cubic polynomials on Wikipedia. Other explicit formulas for finding zeros of quartic polynomials also exist, but are more complex.
vrmuth
is there any general formula to find out zeros of a cubic polynomial that will give you all the zeros ? if not please tell me what are the different methods to find out the zeros , guessing and trial and error , numerical etc. i want to see where are each methods useful and is there any subcategory of cubic polynomial for which we have some specific method to find out all the zeros ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes. It's long and inefficient. A google search for "cubic root formula" should do the trick; or just look up cubic polynomials on wikipedia.

Just because I enjoy doing it, here is a derivation of Cardano's formula:

If a and b are any two real numbers then [itex](a- b)^3= a^3- 3a^2b+ 3ab^2- b^3[/itex] and [itex]3ab(a- b)= 3a^2b- 3ab^2[/itex] so that [itex](a- b)^3+ 3ab(a- b)= a^3- b^3[/itex]. If we let x= a- b, m= 3ab, and [itex]n= a^3- b^3[/itex], we have the [itex]x^3- mx= n[/itex]. That is a "reduced" cubic equation. (Reduced because there is no "[itex]x^2[/itex]" term. Given any cubic equation, [itex]x^3+ px^2+ qx+ r= 0[/itex], we can always replace x by y- a, then choose a so that the coefficient of [itex]y^2[/itex] is 0.)

Now, the question is, suppose we know m and n, can we solve for a and b and so find x? The answer is, of course, yes. From m= 3ab, b= m/3a so that [itex]n= a^3- b^3= a^3- m^3/3^3a^3[/itex] and, multiplying through by [itex]a^3[/itex], [itex]na^3= n(a^3)^2- (m/3)^3= 0.[/itex] That is a quadratic equation for [itex]a^3[/itex] that we can solve using the quadratic equation:
[tex]a^3= \frac{n\pm\sqrt{n^2- 4(m/3)^3}}{2}= \frac{n}{2}\pm\sqrt{\left(\frac{n}{2}\right)^2- \left(\frac{m}{3}\right)^3}[/tex]

Since [itex]a^3- b^3= n[/itex],
[tex]b^3= a^3- n= -\frac{n}{2}\pm\sqrt{\left(\frac{n}{2}\right)^2- \left(\frac{m}{3}\right)^3}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Just because I enjoy doing it, here is a derivation of Cardano's formula:
i also enjoyed it :smile: but find little tough to get it ,i need to apply it for a polynomial thanks .

What is a cubic polynomial?

A cubic polynomial is a mathematical expression that contains three terms, with the highest degree term having an exponent of three. It can be written in the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable.

What are the zeros of a cubic polynomial?

The zeros of a cubic polynomial are the values of x that make the polynomial equal to zero. These are also known as the roots or solutions of the polynomial. A cubic polynomial can have up to three distinct zeros.

Is there a formula for finding the zeros of a cubic polynomial?

Yes, there is a formula called the cubic formula or Cardano's formula that can be used to find the zeros of a cubic polynomial. However, it is a complex formula and may not always be practical to use. In some cases, the zeros can also be found using factoring or graphing methods.

What is the relationship between the zeros of a cubic polynomial and its graph?

The zeros of a cubic polynomial correspond to the x-intercepts of its graph. This means that the points where the polynomial crosses the x-axis are the same as the zeros of the polynomial. Additionally, the graph of a cubic polynomial will have at most three x-intercepts, which correspond to the number of zeros it has.

Are all cubic polynomials guaranteed to have real zeros?

No, not all cubic polynomials will have real zeros. It is possible for a cubic polynomial to have three complex zeros, meaning they involve the imaginary number i. However, if the coefficients of the polynomial are all real numbers, then it will have at least one real zero, and possibly up to three real zeros.