Is there nothing in this house to eat?

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
In summary, improvised meals can be made from anything that is in your pantry or fridge. The best meal is made from ramen noodles and a can of tuna, while the worst meal is made from artificial crab meat.
lawtonfogle said:
the pot is to hot to eat out of, and the bowl cools down faster, and uasly my brother wants some so i use the pot, eat my noddles, wash the bowl and spoon and by then the second batch is ready, and he uses the newly clean bowl and spoon

That's all way too complicated. Just set the pot on a towel or blanket and it's no problem that it's hot.

Though, if you're into gourmet cooking, they do taste better if you boil a second pot of water that you don't put the noodles in, drain the starchy water off the noodles when they are cooked and mix your flavor packet in with the clean boiled water. That's a lot of effort though, as it requires two pots. And if you're really going all out, you can thinly slice a bit of steak (one cube of stew meat goes a long way; you can feed yourself for a week or more on one of those packages of beef cubes) or chicken breast, and fry it up then toss it into your cooked noodles. But, that's really a lot of effort, so you might want to reserve that fancy stuff for when you have a date over for dinner. :tongue2: :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Artman said:
Spaggetti O's in those little single serving cups. 1.15 minutes in the Microwave and they're ready to burn the roof of our mouth.

Ugh, I've never liked Spaghetti-Os. :yuck: Not even as a kid. When I lived in dorms with no freezer, I managed to suffer through some spaghetti sauce in jars, but ever since, I usually have a regular supply of homemade sauce in the freezer. Usually, when all else fails, it's pasta and tomato sauce. I realize that's pretty upscale for this thread though, so I won't say any more on it.

Looking for candy once as a kid, I had some of that Baker's unsweetened Chocolate. :yuck:

:yuck: I did that once too. I also used that with a bunch of kids to demonstrate taste to them. We needed an example of bitter, so I decided it would be fun to see their reaction when they think they are getting chocolate (after checking with all their parents that none of them had allergies to chocolate of course).

Package of unsweetened chocolate: $3
Expression on little kids' faces as they bite into it: Priceless. :rofl:

Danger said:
Anything...? :tongue2:
And these are applied orally? :confused:
Yep, I'm easy. :redface:

Hey, if I quit my job, can I stay in that basement corner of yours? Can we get rid of the iron maiden though? :bugeye:

Moonbear said:
Package of unsweetened chocolate: $3
hilarious! :rofl: poor rugrats!

When I was a little girl I had a friend from the Phillipines who introduced me to Ramen noodles. She always cracked open a raw egg and stirred it into the pot while the noodles were cooking. It's yummy that way, and it's an easy way to add protein.

Evo said:
Yep, I'm easy. :redface:
You have no idea how happy I am to hear that.:tongue2:

Evo said:
Hey, if I quit my job, can I stay in that basement corner of yours?
Absolutely. I'll even let you upstairs once in a while if you don't behave yourself. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Can we get rid of the iron maiden though? :bugeye:
I suppose, but the rack stays. (You're kinda short anyhow...) :wink:

You realize, I assume, that your dietary habits will preclude kissing. I have that seafood allergy... :frown:

Moonbear said:
Evil! :devil: I'm loving it! :biggrin: :!)

Artman said:
Looking for candy once as a kid, I had some of that Baker's unsweetened Chocolate. :yuck:
It's actually pretty good if you dip it in honey or corn syrup. :smile:
And before you jump all over that one, notice that 'honey' is not capitalized. :tongue:

Danger said:
Absolutely. I'll even let you upstairs once in a while if you don't behave yourself. :biggrin:
Wow, what more could I ask? :approve:

I suppose, but the rack stays. (You're kinda short anyhow...) :wink:
I'll need a couple of pillows to keep my head elevated, my nose gets stuffy if my head isn't elevated and I wouldn't want to be uncomfortable while on the rack. :rolleyes: (I've always wanted to be taller)

You realize, I assume, that your dietary habits will preclude kissing. I have that seafood allergy... :frown:
I can't imagine a life without crab. Is it just shellfish you're allergic to?

Danger said:
It's actually pretty good if you dip it in honey or corn syrup. :smile:

But then it isn't unsweetened anymore.

And before you jump all over that one, notice that 'honey' is not capitalized. :tongue:

:rofl: I must really be tired today; that thought didn't even cross my mind.

DocToxyn said:
Yea Moonbear, everyone's doin' it... :tongue2:

Ooh, sign me up! :rofl:

So, is this regular peer pressure or peer-reviewer pressure? :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
That explains you, but how did I miss it? :yuck:

Tee Hee Hee, he said "Jump all over 'that one'" Tee Hee Hee. ("That one" was, "dip it in honey")snicker snicker snicker. :tongue:

Evo said:
I'll need a couple of pillows to keep my head elevated, my nose gets stuffy if my head isn't elevated and I wouldn't want to be uncomfortable while on the rack. :rolleyes: (I've always wanted to be taller)
No need, my pet. It's inclined 25º and has a nice leather headrest. (We wouldn't want you <snorting> any more than usual; it would keep Lucy awake.)

Evo said:
Is it just shellfish you're allergic to?
As far as I know, just shrimp, but by association I'm scared to try other crustaceans. No problem with mollusks or any kind of fish. (Except I don't generally like fish. Just the 'white?' kind–tuna, shark, swordfish, etc.. I'm not really a bigot; it's just that the others taste, well, fishy.)

Moonbear said:
But then it isn't unsweetened anymore.
That, of course, is the point. :approve:

Moonbear said:
Don't blame yourself. I had that one set for 1.5 minutes, but it might have been a faulty fuse. :redface:

Artman said:
Tee Hee Hee, he said "Jump all over 'that one'" Tee Hee Hee. ("That one" was, "dip it in honey")snicker snicker snicker. :tongue:
Are your meds losing effectiveness, or was there a special on tequila? :tongue:

French fries and meatballs.

Too much fat. :redface:

Somehing I tried today:
'Roast chicken flavour noodles' (with roast chicken presumably being a mis spelling of 'almost entirely devoid of' and noodles being an abbreviation of 'soggy shards of broken pasta like substance') with fillets of cold mackrel in tomato sauce.

Alongside Spam-Fried Rice, there are a few other legendary staples which are consumed in my dirty student house:

- Tuna-in-a-bowl
- Rice, Cheese and Marmite
- Egg in a Cup
- Soup and Cheese
- Butter-fried flour/water mix
- Brown Sauce Sandwiches

and the ultimate:
- All Day Breakfast in a Can.

I'd be happy to respond to requests for recipes...

When there's nothing in the cupboard (and there never is), then it's time to go to the Wawa...

brewnog said:
and the ultimate:

You can't beat canned foods that should never have been commited to can form!

brewnog said:
Rice, Cheese and Marmite
Isn't that what they make counter-tops out of? :confused:
Must be hard on the teeth.

SpaceTiger said:
When there's nothing in the cupboard (and there never is), then it's time to go to the Wawa...
Wawa?

10 char

brewnog said:
and the ultimate:

Does this mean that it is to be consumed throughout the course of the day or that you eat it once and it stays with you the entire day?

DocToxyn said:
Does this mean that it is to be consumed throughout the course of the day or that you eat it once and it stays with you the entire day?

Sounds like the sort of thing you eat once and it stays with you all day. :yuck:

Moonbear said:
Sounds like the sort of thing you eat once and it stays with you all day. :yuck:
You just got to hate those persistent dates.

Evo said:
Wawa?

10 char

WaWa is a chain of convenience stores that I've never seen anywhere outside the northeast; I think they are most densely located in NJ. We made fun of the name too when they first started opening up while I was still a kid. :rofl:

a jam sandwich...(where you jam two slices of bread togeather)

merak said:
a jam sandwich...(where you jam two slices of bread togeather)
clever! :rofl:

brewnog said:
Alongside Spam-Fried Rice, there are a few other legendary staples which are consumed in my dirty student house:

- Tuna-in-a-bowl
- Rice, Cheese and Marmite
- Egg in a Cup
- Soup and Cheese
- Butter-fried flour/water mix
- Brown Sauce Sandwiches

and the ultimate:

I'd be happy to respond to requests for recipes...

I need, the rice cheese and marmite recipie, butter fried flour/water mix, brown sauce sandwiches, and because you made it sound so delicious, all day breakfast in a can. :tongue2: