Is there nothing in this house to eat?
- Thread starter matthyaouw
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
61 replies · 12K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
Anything...?Evo said:Of course the all time, unbeatable, most orgasmic is Alaskan King Crab legs dipped in melted butter with lemon and garlic. I will do ANYTHING for those.![]()
And these are applied orally?
Science Advisor
- 425
- 0
Moonbear said:Do I have to ask the obvious? If you're going to bother with the trouble of toasting them, why not just follow package instructions and boil them? That little flavored salt packet tastes better in boiled water than as a powder.![]()
It's mostly because cooked ramen, as indicated by this thread, has been done to death, so I thought to try a different texture/flavor profile and it's pretty good.
EVO said:C'mon Moonbear, it's a new taste treat. Try some uncooked noodles.
Yea Moonbear, everyone's doin' it...
lawtonfogle
- 159
- 0
Smurf said:If you were in my minionary you would be castrated for such inefficiency. Eat out of the pot, save the bowl.
the pot is to hot to eat out of, and the bowl cools down faster, and uasly my brother wants some so i use the pot, eat my noddles, wash the bowl and spoon and by then the second batch is ready, and he uses the newly clean bowl and spoon
Artman
- 1,507
- 41
Spaggetti O's in those little single serving cups. 1.15 minutes in the Microwave and they're ready to burn the roof of our mouth.
Mixed water and catsup together and heated it to make soup once.
Looking for candy once as a kid, I had some of that Baker's unsweetened Chocolate.
Mixed water and catsup together and heated it to make soup once.
Looking for candy once as a kid, I had some of that Baker's unsweetened Chocolate.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
lawtonfogle said:the pot is to hot to eat out of, and the bowl cools down faster, and uasly my brother wants some so i use the pot, eat my noddles, wash the bowl and spoon and by then the second batch is ready, and he uses the newly clean bowl and spoon
That's all way too complicated. Just set the pot on a towel or blanket and it's no problem that it's hot.
Though, if you're into gourmet cooking, they do taste better if you boil a second pot of water that you don't put the noodles in, drain the starchy water off the noodles when they are cooked and mix your flavor packet in with the clean boiled water. That's a lot of effort though, as it requires two pots. And if you're really going all out, you can thinly slice a bit of steak (one cube of stew meat goes a long way; you can feed yourself for a week or more on one of those packages of beef cubes) or chicken breast, and fry it up then toss it into your cooked noodles. But, that's really a lot of effort, so you might want to reserve that fancy stuff for when you have a date over for dinner.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
Artman said:Spaggetti O's in those little single serving cups. 1.15 minutes in the Microwave and they're ready to burn the roof of our mouth.
Ugh, I've never liked Spaghetti-Os. Not even as a kid. When I lived in dorms with no freezer, I managed to suffer through some spaghetti sauce in jars, but ever since, I usually have a regular supply of homemade sauce in the freezer. Usually, when all else fails, it's pasta and tomato sauce. I realize that's pretty upscale for this thread though, so I won't say any more on it.
Looking for candy once as a kid, I had some of that Baker's unsweetened Chocolate.
I did that once too. I also used that with a bunch of kids to demonstrate taste to them. We needed an example of bitter, so I decided it would be fun to see their reaction when they think they are getting chocolate (after checking with all their parents that none of them had allergies to chocolate of course).
Package of unsweetened chocolate: $3
Expression on little kids' faces as they bite into it: Priceless.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Yep, I'm easy.Danger said:Anything...?![]()
And these are applied orally?![]()
Hey, if I quit my job, can I stay in that basement corner of yours? Can we get rid of the iron maiden though?

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,663
- 37
hilarious!Moonbear said:Package of unsweetened chocolate: $3
Expression on little kids' faces as they bite into it: Priceless.![]()
When I was a little girl I had a friend from the Phillipines who introduced me to Ramen noodles. She always cracked open a raw egg and stirred it into the pot while the noodles were cooking. It's yummy that way, and it's an easy way to add protein.
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
You have no idea how happy I am to hear that.Evo said:Yep, I'm easy.![]()
Absolutely. I'll even let you upstairs once in a while if you don't behave yourself.Evo said:Hey, if I quit my job, can I stay in that basement corner of yours?
I suppose, but the rack stays. (You're kinda short anyhow...)Evo said:Can we get rid of the iron maiden though?![]()
You realize, I assume, that your dietary habits will preclude kissing. I have that seafood allergy...
Artman
- 1,507
- 41
Evil!Moonbear said:Expression on little kids' faces as they bite into it: Priceless.![]()
I'm loving it!
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
It's actually pretty good if you dip it in honey or corn syrup.Artman said:Looking for candy once as a kid, I had some of that Baker's unsweetened Chocolate.
And before you jump all over that one, notice that 'honey' is not capitalized.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Wow, what more could I ask?Danger said:Absolutely. I'll even let you upstairs once in a while if you don't behave yourself.![]()
I'll need a couple of pillows to keep my head elevated, my nose gets stuffy if my head isn't elevated and I wouldn't want to be uncomfortable while on the rack.I suppose, but the rack stays. (You're kinda short anyhow...)![]()
I can't imagine a life without crab. Is it just shellfish you're allergic to?You realize, I assume, that your dietary habits will preclude kissing. I have that seafood allergy...![]()
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
Danger said:It's actually pretty good if you dip it in honey or corn syrup.![]()
But then it isn't unsweetened anymore.
And before you jump all over that one, notice that 'honey' is not capitalized.![]()
Artman
- 1,507
- 41
That explains you, but how did I miss it?Moonbear said:I must really be tired today; that thought didn't even cross my mind.
Tee Hee Hee, he said "Jump all over 'that one'" Tee Hee Hee. ("That one" was, "dip it in honey")snicker snicker snicker.
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
No need, my pet. It's inclined 25º and has a nice leather headrest. (We wouldn't want you <snorting> any more than usual; it would keep Lucy awake.)Evo said:I'll need a couple of pillows to keep my head elevated, my nose gets stuffy if my head isn't elevated and I wouldn't want to be uncomfortable while on the rack.(I've always wanted to be taller)
As far as I know, just shrimp, but by association I'm scared to try other crustaceans. No problem with mollusks or any kind of fish. (Except I don't generally like fish. Just the 'white?' kind–tuna, shark, swordfish, etc.. I'm not really a bigot; it's just that the others taste, well, fishy.)Evo said:Is it just shellfish you're allergic to?
That, of course, is the point.Moonbear said:But then it isn't unsweetened anymore.

Don't blame yourself. I had that one set for 1.5 minutes, but it might have been a faulty fuse.Moonbear said:I must really be tired today; that thought didn't even cross my mind.

Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
Are your meds losing effectiveness, or was there a special on tequila?Artman said:Tee Hee Hee, he said "Jump all over 'that one'" Tee Hee Hee. ("That one" was, "dip it in honey")snicker snicker snicker.![]()
Telos
- 128
- 0
French fries and meatballs.
Too much fat.
Too much fat.

matthyaouw
Gold Member
- 1,125
- 5
Somehing I tried today:
'Roast chicken flavour noodles' (with roast chicken presumably being a mis spelling of 'almost entirely devoid of' and noodles being an abbreviation of 'soggy shards of broken pasta like substance') with fillets of cold mackrel in tomato sauce.
'Roast chicken flavour noodles' (with roast chicken presumably being a mis spelling of 'almost entirely devoid of' and noodles being an abbreviation of 'soggy shards of broken pasta like substance') with fillets of cold mackrel in tomato sauce.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,751
- 8
Alongside Spam-Fried Rice, there are a few other legendary staples which are consumed in my dirty student house:
- Tuna-in-a-bowl
- Rice, Cheese and Marmite
- Egg in a Cup
- Soup and Cheese
- Butter-fried flour/water mix
- Brown Sauce Sandwiches
and the ultimate:
- All Day Breakfast in a Can.
I'd be happy to respond to requests for recipes...
- Tuna-in-a-bowl
- Rice, Cheese and Marmite
- Egg in a Cup
- Soup and Cheese
- Butter-fried flour/water mix
- Brown Sauce Sandwiches
and the ultimate:
- All Day Breakfast in a Can.
I'd be happy to respond to requests for recipes...
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,957
- 4
When there's nothing in the cupboard (and there never is), then it's time to go to the Wawa...
matthyaouw
Gold Member
- 1,125
- 5
brewnog said:and the ultimate:
- All Day Breakfast in a Can.
You can't beat canned foods that should never have been commited to can form!
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
Isn't that what they make counter-tops out of?brewnog said:Rice, Cheese and Marmite
Must be hard on the teeth.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Wawa?SpaceTiger said:When there's nothing in the cupboard (and there never is), then it's time to go to the Wawa...
10 char
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
You just got to hate those persistent dates.Moonbear said:Sounds like the sort of thing you eat once and it stays with you all day.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
Evo said:Wawa?
10 char
WaWa is a chain of convenience stores that I've never seen anywhere outside the northeast; I think they are most densely located in NJ. We made fun of the name too when they first started opening up while I was still a kid.
merak
- 51
- 0
a jam sandwich...(where you jam two slices of bread togeather)
Similar threads
- Stephanus
- · Replies 7 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 7
- iDimension
- · Replies 2 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 2
- mattattack
- · Replies 14 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 14
- webdude
- · Replies 9 ·
- Electrical Engineering
- Replies
- 9
- astro2cosmos
- · Replies 14 ·
- High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics
- Replies
- 14
Graduate
How Can Nothing Expand Into Nothing?
- Victor
- · Replies 8 ·
- Other Physics Topics
- Replies
- 8
- Jonny_trigonometry
- · Replies 22 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 22
- scott_sieger
- · Replies 3 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 3
- JulianHeawood
- · Replies 4 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 4
- Mentat
- · Replies 127 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 127