Is there physical content in D Branes?

• Thread starter arivero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physical
In summary, the conversation is discussing the role of D-branes in string theory and their connection to Chan-Paton charges. While some argue that D-branes are necessary as elementary constituents in addition to strings, others argue that they are only needed for introducing gauge groups. Further research, such as Zwiebach's work, is recommended for a better understanding of D-branes and their relationship to charges at the end of strings.
arivero
Gold Member
I am having a hard time to see how/if D Branes are physics, at all.

We are told that it is the modern notation for Chan Paton charges. But then Marcus and Sagnotti, in the unique paper I have found on the topic, seem to think different

Reference
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/spires/find/hep/www?j=PHLTA,B188,58"
Neil Marcus (UC, Berkeley & LBL, Berkeley) , Augusto Sagnotti (Rome U.,Tor Vergata & INFN, Rome) . UCB-PTH-86/27, LBL-22076, ROM2F-86/015, Oct 1986. 10pp.
Published in Phys.Lett.B188:58,1987.

Is there any good work relating D-branes to "charges at the end of strings"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
arivero said:
I am having a hard time to see how/if D Branes are physics, at all.

We are told that it is the modern notation for Chan Paton charges. But then Marcus and Sagnotti, in the unique paper I have found on the topic, seem to think different

Reference
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/spires/find/hep/www?j=PHLTA,B188,58"
Neil Marcus (UC, Berkeley & LBL, Berkeley) , Augusto Sagnotti (Rome U.,Tor Vergata & INFN, Rome) . UCB-PTH-86/27, LBL-22076, ROM2F-86/015, Oct 1986. 10pp.
Published in Phys.Lett.B188:58,1987.

Is there any good work relating D-branes to "charges at the end of strings"?

Are you specifically interested in string theory as applied to a theory of QCD or string theory in general (as a theory of everything)?

The need for branes in superstring theory goes beyond the introduction of gauge indices. I think that what Polchinski showed was that branes are required as elementary constituents in addition to strings. Introducing Chan-Paton factors at the end of open strings which end on branes can be done in order to introduce gauge groups but as far as I know, branes do not require Chan Paton factors (I mightbe wrong).

In any case, have you look at Zwiebach? He gives a nice introduction.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can assure you that D-branes are a well-established concept in physics and have been extensively studied and utilized in various areas of theoretical and experimental research. D-branes, also known as Dirichlet branes, are hypersurfaces on which open strings can end. They were first introduced in string theory as a way to incorporate boundary conditions for open strings. However, their significance goes far beyond that and they have been found to play crucial roles in various aspects of theoretical physics, such as black hole physics, gauge theories, and holography.

There is certainly physical content in D-branes. In fact, D-branes have been used to explain the origin of gauge theories, which are fundamental in describing the interactions between elementary particles. They have also been used to understand the dynamics of black holes, providing insights into the elusive quantum nature of gravity. Furthermore, D-branes have been extensively studied in the context of string dualities, which have revolutionized our understanding of the fundamental principles of physics.

The reference you have provided is a classic paper that discusses the relationship between D-branes and Chan-Paton charges. This is a fundamental aspect of D-brane physics and has been extensively studied and applied in various contexts. However, there have been numerous developments and advancements in the understanding of D-branes since this paper was published in 1987. I would suggest exploring more recent literature on the topic to gain a better understanding of the current state of research on D-branes.

Overall, D-branes are a crucial and well-established concept in modern physics, and their significance and physical content cannot be denied. They have been extensively studied and have provided key insights into many fundamental questions in physics. I would encourage you to continue exploring the topic and delving into more recent literature to gain a better understanding of the physical content of D-branes.

1. What are D-branes?

D-branes are objects in string theory that represent higher-dimensional surfaces on which strings can end. They are named after their fundamental property of having a "Dirichlet boundary condition" for open strings.

2. What is the physical significance of D-branes?

D-branes have many physical implications in string theory. They provide a way to describe the dynamics of strings in a curved spacetime, they allow for the creation and annihilation of strings, and they provide a framework for understanding the holographic principle.

3. How do D-branes contribute to our understanding of the universe?

D-branes are a crucial part of string theory, which is a theoretical framework that aims to unify all the forces and particles in the universe. By incorporating D-branes, string theory is able to solve some of the problems faced by traditional theories of particle physics and gravity.

4. Are D-branes a confirmed concept in physics?

While there is strong mathematical evidence for the existence of D-branes in string theory, they have not yet been directly observed in experiments. However, their predictions have been successfully tested in various calculations and simulations, making them a widely accepted concept in theoretical physics.

5. How do D-branes relate to other areas of physics?

D-branes have connections to many other areas of physics, including black hole physics, cosmology, and quantum field theory. They have also been studied in relation to condensed matter systems and their properties have been seen to emerge in certain physical systems. This makes D-branes a significant topic of research in various fields of physics.