D Branes and Gluon-Quark Interaction.

• A
  • Thread starter nigelscott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interaction
In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding of D branes and their role in reproducing a basic quark-gluon interaction. The participant suggests that a quark is a string connecting a flavor brane with a color brane, and explains the process of creating a green-antired gluon. There is also mention of redrawing an image for better understanding.
nigelscott
I have been watching Prof Susskind's lectures on String Theory. I am trying to understand a little more about D branes. I am trying to reproduce a basic quark-gluon interaction. I have the following:http://www.firstcoasttutors.com/images/pf.jpg

I think this might describe the right hand side of the Feynman diagram but am not sure. If so, is the incoming side just more or less the green and red arrows inverted. Am I even remotely close here.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Quarks have "flavor" (up, down...) as well as color. In such a model, a quark is a string connecting a flavor brane with a color brane. So you would start e.g. with a string connecting up brane with green brane, and then another connecting up brane with red brane. Then the endpoints on the up brane come into contact, creating one long string that starts on the green brane and ends on the red brane, and which is free to completely detach from the up brane. This string is the green-antired gluon. Finally, for the process to reverse, the gluon string must reattach to the up brane and split in two again.

OK thanks. I might try and redraw my image and repost it to make sure I understand.

1. What are D Branes and how do they relate to particle interactions?

D Branes are objects in string theory that represent the allowed dimensions in which strings can propagate. They play a crucial role in understanding the interactions between particles and are essential in describing the behavior of gluon-quark interactions.

2. How do D Branes affect the behavior of gluons and quarks?

D Branes provide the framework for understanding the strong force, which is responsible for binding quarks together in protons and neutrons. The interactions between gluons and quarks are mediated by D Branes, and their properties determine the strength and behavior of this force.

3. Can D Branes explain the confinement of quarks?

One of the most challenging problems in particle physics is understanding why quarks are confined within hadrons and cannot exist as free particles. D Branes provide a possible explanation for this phenomenon, as their presence creates a strong force that keeps quarks bound together.

4. How do D Branes relate to the concept of extra dimensions?

D Branes are closely related to the idea of extra dimensions in string theory. In this theory, it is postulated that there are more than the four dimensions we experience in our everyday lives. D Branes provide a way to mathematically describe and understand these additional dimensions.

5. Can D Branes and gluon-quark interactions be experimentally observed?

While D Branes and gluon-quark interactions are essential in theoretical models, they have not yet been directly observed in experiments. However, scientists are working to develop new techniques and experiments that may provide evidence for these concepts in the future.