Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there such a thing as a virtual dimension

1. Apr 15, 2013 #1
    Is there such a thing as a virtual dimension. for instance if you move on a two dimensional surface, say you take 4 steps in x dimension and then 3 steps in y dimension and then say in z 3 steps, and to move in z you step x+(some predefined formula) and y+(some predefined formula). The z dimension is essentially that predefined formula. You can move on the plane is if there is an extra dimension, though obviously there isn't one, just behaves as though there is one....could z be considered a virtual dimension?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2013 #2
    No. Dimensions have rigorous definitions (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimension_(mathematics_and_physics [Broken])), but the bottom line is that if I can express "movement in the Z dimension" by movement in the X and Y dimensions then the "Z dimension" isn't a dimension at all. For it to be a dimension it would have to be the case that movement in the Z-direction would get me somewhere that I could never get by just moving in the x/y dimensions.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook