Is There Such a Thing as DeRham Homology?
- Level: Graduate
- Thread starter WWGD
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 6K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Discussion
Homework Helper
- 1,818
- 33
DeRahm cohomology is all to do with the cohomology of differential forms, you set up your Meyer-Veotoris sequence via the exterior derivative. There is alway a pairing between homology and cohomology, so I guess that there is that but there is no formal theory called DeRahm homology as far as I am aware.
Bacle
- 656
- 1
Why stop there with the (good) question? How about Cech homology?
Science Advisor
- 3,398
- 770
hunt_mat said:DeRahm cohomology is all to do with the cohomology of differential forms, you set up your Meyer-Veotoris sequence via the exterior derivative. There is alway a pairing between homology and cohomology, so I guess that there is that but there is no formal theory called DeRahm homology as far as I am aware.
The connection of the De Rham cochain complex to cohomology with real coefficiants is Stokes theorem. So the duality is through the isomorphism with real cohomology.
Jamma
- 432
- 0
Hmm, this is an interesting question and is applicable to something I have been thinking about. Apparently there is a notion of Cech homology- but it doesn't satisfy all of the properties you'd like (mainly, it doesn't do well with giving you sequences which should be exact). However, it can be altered, to a thing called (I think) strong homology, which does give a well behaved homology theory and for which cech cohomology is the dual theory.
Sina
- 119
- 0
We have the homology of simplixes (was it called simplical homology?) whose cohomology is precisely isomorphic to deRham cohomology I believe (you can show that each linear functional on the free group of simplices is precisely integration by some form of appropriate degree)
Science Advisor
- 3,398
- 770
Sina said:We have the homology of simplixes (was it called simplical homology?) whose cohomology is precisely isomorphic to deRham cohomology I believe (you can show that each linear functional on the free group of simplices is precisely integration by some form of appropriate degree)
Smooth simplexes
Sina
- 119
- 0
erm yes smooth it should be to relate it to some triangulation of the manifold. I was a bit unclear sorry, I think it should be a triangulation of the smooth manifold whose deRham cohomology you want to dualize. I never proved this so I am a bit unsure about the precise conditions.
Science Advisor
- 3,398
- 770
Sina said:erm yes smooth it should be to relate it to some triangulation of the manifold. I was a bit unclear sorry, I think it should be a triangulation of the smooth manifold whose deRham cohomology you want to dualize. I never proved this so I am a bit unsure about the precise conditions.
It should be a smooth triangulation of the manifold.
Science Advisor
- 3,398
- 770
I think there is a theorem which says that any real (maybe Z/2Z) homology class of a smooth manifold can be represented by an embedded submanifold. I will check it. If this is true, then embedded submanifolds might give you a de Rham homology. This is just an impression. Let's think it through.
Similar threads
- WWGD
- · Replies 7 ·
- Differential Geometry
- Replies
- 7
- WWGD
- · Replies 3 ·
- Differential Geometry
- Replies
- 3
- Sina
- · Replies 3 ·
- Differential Geometry
- Replies
- 3
Graduate
DeRham Cohomology in Bott and Tu
- Bacle
- · Replies 7 ·
- Differential Geometry
- Replies
- 7
- lichen1983312
- · Replies 19 ·
- Differential Geometry
- Replies
- 19
- WWGD
- · Replies 8 ·
- Differential Geometry
- Replies
- 8
- Mandelbroth
- · Replies 3 ·
- Differential Geometry
- Replies
- 3
- lavinia
- · Replies 23 ·
- Differential Geometry
- Replies
- 23
- trees and plants
- · Replies 3 ·
- Topology and Analysis
- Replies
- 3
Graduate
Homology of formally infinite chains
- Jamma
- · Replies 1 ·
- Differential Geometry
- Replies
- 1