Is this a British thing or something? People trying to be cute?

1. Is this a British thing or something? People trying to be cute? I have never heard anyone put an 's' on the end of math. It really bothers me.

It's math, or mathematics as far as I'm concerned. No "maths".

2. jcsd
  3. Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: "maths"

It's a British thing. It has to do with their long history of adding unnecessary vowels and consonants.

4. Re: "maths"

It's a shorthand from Mathematics.

5. Re: "maths"

James Grime says it all the time, and it catches me every time.

6. Re: "maths"

No, math is the shorthand from mathematics.

7. Danger

Danger 9,878
    Gold Member

In your culture; every Brit that I've heard mention the subject at all has called it "maths".
    Evo, yor menton of superfuos nuns and consonants is ridiculus.

8. Evo

Staff: Mentor

:biggrin:

9. Re: "maths"

Well that's probably why the British lost their empire.

10. Danger

Danger 9,878
    Gold Member

The Commonwealth is still quite extensive, loyal, and powerful.

11. Re: "maths"

Does "pure maths" make you even more crazy?

12. Re: "maths"

How I hate hearing some American nerd say "just do the math". Ticks me off.

I was ashamed when I heard Andrew Wiles say "math", he probably got tired of being abused by American students telling him he was saying it wrong.

Point is, it's the English language and it's always been maths, it's the Americans saying it wrong.

13. Re: "maths"

New Zealand and parts of Oz are the only places in the commonwealth that speak the proper Queens English anymore. You British screwed that up 100 years ago.

14. cristo

cristo 8,412
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If this sort of thing really bothers you that much, you need to get out more!

Anyway, when you shorten mathematics, you get math's (with an apostrophe to denote dropped letters, which is then usually itself dropped). Sure, you can do it differently in a different language (say, American), but then you're not longer speaking English. :tongue2:

15. Danger

Danger 9,878
    Gold Member

Ahem... :grumpy:
    Does the term "Canuk" ring a bell? We have to put up with Yank-speak a hell of a lot more than anybody else, from living right next door to them.
    I agree with everything that you said, but I'm pretty sure that there shouldn't be a "t" on "no"... :wink:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  16. Borg

Borg 1,269
    Gold Member

I had never heard the term before coming to this forum. After following a few links from PF threads, I see that it is fairly common outside of the US. It's still strange to me but, I consider it one of the things that I have learned here. I guess that I don't get out much either. :rolleyes:

17. Danger

Danger 9,878
    Gold Member

Here in Canada, we do in fact use the word "math" without the "s", but have no problem with the Brit approach. (In fact, I've heard Brits use it only in reference to educational courses as opposed to everyday life, but I don't know if that is the rule.)

Anyhow, the word that I use for it can't be printed here. The only trouble that I ever got into in High School was for assaulting a math teacher in Grade 10, and I never took the subject since. There were several years of incredibly horrible math teachers prior to that, and I just hit my breaking point.

18. Re: "maths"

Don't visit England, you'll bust a gut.

19. fuzzyfelt

fuzzyfelt 743
    Gold Member

Their language wants for naught.

20. Danger

Danger 9,878
    Gold Member

Is that just a coincidence, or are you crossing threads here? :uhh:

21. Office_Shredder

Office_Shredder 4,499
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Deja vu?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?