1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is This A Correct/Sufficient Proof

1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Which is greater cos(sin(x)) or sin(cos(x)), determine with proof.

3. The attempt at a solution

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5193/proof1ii.jpg [Broken]
    http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8678/proof2w.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Something you asserted early on is not true - that f(g(x)) = g(f(x)). I stopped reading after that.

4. Nov 28, 2009 #3
    I was doing proof by contradiction. In order to prove f(g(x)) =/= g(f(x)) i started off by letting f(g(x)) = g(f(x)) and working from there.

5. Nov 28, 2009 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

You would have been doing a proof by contradiction if you said you were doing a proof by contradiction. The way you've written it, you're just asserting (without justification) something that is not even true.

Other than that, it seems reasonable...

6. Nov 28, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you're doing a proof by contradiction, you don't start with "therefore ..." - You start by assuming the thing you want to contradict.

Also, in the same line you have "Therefore g(f(x)) = f(g(x)) cos(sin(x))". It looks like you omitted part of what you wanted to say.

7. Nov 28, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I assumed that was a typos for "g(f(x))= f(g(x))= cos(sin(x))". But, in any case, if the problem was to determine which was larger, I don't see what a proof by contradiction that they are not equal would accomplish.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook