A (simple?) question on fractions

• Thread starter t_n_p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the equation has been changed to exclude the 1/2500, but the roots of the denominator still remain. This suggests that the two expressions are equivalent, despite having different roots.
t_n_p

Homework Statement

Hi. Bit of a weird question here, was thinking about this and am stumped as to how the following is true.

I have a fraction here,

[PLAIN]http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2280/math1.jpg

I know this equation is definitely true, I have checked it by graphing on my calculator.

My issue here is with the quadratic in the denominator. If I want to show this, I would have taken out 1/2500 like so.

[PLAIN]http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/5485/math2.jpg

As you can see the only difference now between my answer and the correct answer is the 1/2500. So what happened to this 1/2500!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried substituting the same value of 's' into both of them and numerically evaluating each expression?

hey your right.
If I sub s=1, the top two expressions are not the same, however 1 and 3 are the same.

this suggests that expression 1 does not equal expression 2.

HOWEVER,
expression 1 and expression 2 have the same roots!?

t_n_p said:
hey your right.
If I sub s=1, the top two expressions are not the same, however 1 and 3 are the same.

this suggests that expression 1 does not equal expression 2.

HOWEVER,
expression 1 and expression 2 have the same roots!?

Because two expressions have the same roots does not mean that they are equivalent. As a very simple example, consider the following two functions:

f(x) = (x+1)(x+3)
g(x) = 50(x+1)(x+3)

The zeros for both are clearly x=-3 and x=-1, however it is far from true that f(x)=g(x).

Your example is very similar; your two expressions differ by a factor of 2500.

I think this problem has more to do with application.

fyi the question is in relation to engineering control systems, the equation is a transfer function and the denominator is analysed for poles.

I believe that's why the quadratic has simply been swapped. The expressions are not exactly the same "per se" but they have the same roots. Since we are interested in the poles, i.e. roots of the denominator I think that's why the 1/2500 is simply ignored.

When i first saw the expression i did wonder if you were doing a course in control systems. I'm also currently doing a course in process control and am all too familiar with these transfer functions haha :P

lol, interesting coincidence.

Still one question remains though (not sure if you will be able to answer, its more related to the control systems end than the mathematical side).

generally, say you have a tf:

c/r = 10/(5s+5)

You will take out 5 from the denominator to get it into "s+1" form (for want of a better name), which makes it easy to get your corner frequencies. This leads to:

c/r = 10/5(s+1)

which then becomes:
c/r = 2/(s+1) which is important because the K' value is now 2, and is used in kb=20logk' to create an approximate bode plot.

so my question is then, if you take 1/2500 out, will that get absorbed into the k' value? It seems not, why, I don't know.

Not sure if you can follow, but thought its worth a shot explaining anyway...

t_n_p said:
lol, interesting coincidence.

Still one question remains though (not sure if you will be able to answer, its more related to the control systems end than the mathematical side).

generally, say you have a tf:

c/r = 10/(5s+5)

You will take out 5 from the denominator to get it into "s+1" form (for want of a better name), which makes it easy to get your corner frequencies. This leads to:

c/r = 10/5(s+1)

which then becomes:
c/r = 2/(s+1) which is important because the K' value is now 2, and is used in kb=20logk' to create an approximate bode plot.

so my question is then, if you take 1/2500 out, will that get absorbed into the k' value? It seems not, why, I don't know.

Not sure if you can follow, but thought its worth a shot explaining anyway...

I haven't really covered drawing bode plots by hand in my class (we just did it in MATLAB), but is the idea behind your method to separate each factor of the transfer function, make a bode plot of each factor and then superposition them? If so, then it shouldn't matter if the factor of 2500 is considered as part of the constant term or as part of any of the other factors.

Im not sure if that is even what you mean, so i could have completely missed your question :P

if you havn't done it by hand you probably wouldn't know.

thanks a lot for the help anyway!

No problem. Good luck with it!

1. What is a fraction?

A fraction is a mathematical expression that represents a part of a whole. It is written in the form of a numerator over a denominator, separated by a line, such as 1/2 or 3/4.

2. How do I simplify a fraction?

To simplify a fraction, you need to find the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator, and then divide both by the GCF. This will give you the simplest form of the fraction.

3. How do I add or subtract fractions?

To add or subtract fractions, you need to have a common denominator. If the fractions do not have a common denominator, you need to find the least common multiple (LCM) of the denominators and convert the fractions to have the same denominator. Then, you can add or subtract the numerators and keep the common denominator.

4. How do I multiply or divide fractions?

To multiply fractions, you simply multiply the numerators and denominators together. To divide fractions, you flip the second fraction upside down and then multiply as normal. Remember to simplify your answer if possible.

5. What is the difference between a proper fraction and an improper fraction?

A proper fraction has a smaller numerator than denominator, while an improper fraction has a larger numerator than denominator. An improper fraction can be converted into a mixed number, which is a whole number and a proper fraction combined, while a proper fraction cannot be converted into a mixed number.