1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is This a Good 1st Semester Engineering Schedule?

1. Feb 11, 2014 #1

sheldonrocks97

Gold Member

I am a high school senior that is transferring to a tech school in the Fall to study electrical engineering. I also have most of my general ed finished so I need to make a schedule for the fall based on the classes I haven't taken yet. I already finished most of my humanities/social science and have finished Chemistry I and II, Calculus I and II, Physics I, Programming, Engineering Design, and Linear Algebra all taken at a community college. This is what I had in mind for a 1st semester schedule:

Calculus 3 (4)
    Physics II (5)
    Intro to Electrical Engineering (2)
    Intro to Mineral Engineering (1)
    Circuits I (4) or Microelectronics (3)

15 or 16 total credit hours.

Btw, I'm looking for a mineral engineering minor, that's why the mineral engineering is there.

Should I take circuits without taking the intro to electrical engineering? Should I retake Physics I? What do you think of this schedule? What should I change?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2014 #2

analogdesign

Science Advisor

This looks pretty good although it might be pretty intense.

What is Intro to Electrical Engineering? Also, I would take circuits before Microelectronics for sure.

4. Feb 11, 2014 #3

sheldonrocks97

Gold Member

It is a basic freshmen electrical engineering class that teaches you the basics. All EE majors have to take it.

5. Feb 11, 2014 #4

sheldonrocks97

Gold Member

Aww.. I just learned that Intro to Electrical Engineering is a prereq for Circuits and Signals I. I also learned I can't take microelectronics either. :(

6. Feb 11, 2014 #5

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try not to be too disappointed. EE (and pretty much every other technical field) builds on prereqs the entire way through. This is a good thing - otherwise you wouldn't be learning much in your upper division classes. A microelecronics course that did not require circuits as a prereq would not be very useful for an EE.

If you have some holes in your schedule, take some subject you will enjoy for fun (art? philosophy? music theory? ), some english (especially writing intensive), or some computer science, or ....

Also, for your first semester, there is nothing wrong with taking a lighter load. I found my freshman year to be a bit of a shock, and a lighter load would have helped.

Enjoy,

jason

7. Feb 11, 2014 #6
    Looks good man, but make sure you focus on mastering the basics. It will make your later years much easier if you really put the work in early.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook