18 Credits a semester, or 1 more year+grad school courses

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of choosing between a shorter undergraduate period with a heavy course load or a longer period with a lighter course load and time for research and other activities. The group agrees that it is important to prioritize learning and understanding the material over finishing in a certain amount of time. It is also acknowledged that taking on more credits may be necessary for certain jobs or scholarships, but it is important to balance this with maintaining mental and physical health. The conversation also mentions concerns about how graduate schools may view a lower credit load, but ultimately emphasizes the importance of truly grasping the material.
PhotonSSBM
Insights Author
A question I've had and never gotten answered recently is what looks better on a transcript: 18-20 credits in one semester and quickly finish my undergrad, or take a lengthy stay at around 12-14 credits per semester with the extra year being used for grad school courses? If I take the extra year, it would be 5 years as an undergrad due to having to transfer from a 2 year school and not having many courses relevant to my major here. 3.5 of those years will be at the 4-year institution.

I need at least 2.5 years to finish my major, 3.5 gives me a chance to take some grad school courses and do more research, and it would be less stressful for me. But I'm worried if I take too long in undergrad it won't look good on a transcript (there's money too but I don't have to pay for school myself). I also don't mind waiting another year for a degree.

If I reduce it to 3 years or 2.5, I'll have to take 18 credits a semester, at least 9 of which would be upper division work in Physics and Computer Science. I'd have to start taking on that kind of workload now, so that's why I'm asking so early.

So what would you do in my situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
would you be able to master the material with 18 units? Ie. you understand the whys and hows? If you are going to take 18 units but not understand the material correctly or superficial understanding, then i would say no. take 14.

Likes PhotonSSBM and EM_Guy
I also had this issue. I could have graduated in 2.5-3 years taking 18 credit hours, but instead I chose to do 4 years taking 12 hours. That way, I was able to do more research, study harder, and be a teaching assistant.

I strongly recommend taking fewer credit hours and taking an extra year or so. That way you can take time to do research (which I strongly, STRONGLY recommend) and learn things more in depth. I also firmly stand behind my belief that getting enough sleep is crucial to academic performance, so this will help as well.

Likes PhotonSSBM and EM_Guy
The important thing is to learn the material - not to graduate "on-time." Once you get into your first job, no one is going to care how long you took to graduate college. And when you interview for your first job out of school, your potential employer is going to care more about what you know and what you are able to do than in how long you took to get through school.

On the other hand, many (if not most) employers want people who can take on a large volume of work and do well with it. All other things being equal, a person who takes 18 credits per semester and gets straight A's would be in higher demand than a person who took 12 credits per semester. But it is more important that you learn the material of each course - and also maintain your sanity, get exercise, have time for a social life, etc. If you are taking math, physics, and/or engineering courses, I advise taking no more than 12-15 credits per semester. Personally, that was all I was able to handle. But I also have very limited natural ability. I just learn slower than gifted people.

Likes PhotonSSBM
MidgetDwarf said:
would you be able to master the material with 18 units? Ie. you understand the whys and hows? If you are going to take 18 units but not understand the material correctly or superficial understanding, then i would say no. take 14.
I'm confident I could. I'm taking 14 credits now and get A's consistently without stressing. I think an additional class would be manageable. But throw in research and a job and you're probably right. So good points.

Dishsoap said:
I also had this issue. I could have graduated in 2.5-3 years taking 18 credit hours, but instead I chose to do 4 years taking 12 hours. That way, I was able to do more research, study harder, and be a teaching assistant.

I strongly recommend taking fewer credit hours and taking an extra year or so. That way you can take time to do research (which I strongly, STRONGLY recommend) and learn things more in depth. I also firmly stand behind my belief that getting enough sleep is crucial to academic performance, so this will help as well.
My philosophy has been, from the beginning, to do research, and this post has been how I typically view things. My only concern is that grad schools would look down on taking only 12 credits a semester.

PhotonSSBM said:
I'm confident I could. I'm taking 14 credits now and get A's consistently without stressing. I think an additional class would be manageable. But throw in research and a job and you're probably right. So good points.My philosophy has been, from the beginning, to do research, and this post has been how I typically view things. My only concern is that grad schools would look down on taking only 12 credits a semester.

We aren't worried about you getting A's, you are clearly an exceptional student. But getting an A is not the same as really grasping the material.

Also... can someone else confirm that? If that's the case, I'm toast, I've only taken 12 hours all through my undergrad :frown:

you can get an A, however, that A would be considered a C with a different professor or even a different institution for that matter.

I've been doing both - 17 credit hours a semester, part time job, part time research, and still trying to have a social life, as well as being SPS President at my school. It's really hard, and I regret not having more time to do research in particular. But I'm trying to get this all done and done well because money is a concern (I support myself) and would love to get a particular fellowship for grad school. If you have the choice to stay longer, take grad courses, and do more research, I definitely recommend it. Research has been the pivotal thing in my academic career so far, it's made me love physics much more than anything else. Having more research experience and better letters of rec would also contribute to being more likely to getting into preferred grad schools or a first job.

The only problem I could see is the transition to grad school; when you're doing classes + research full time, it may be a hard transition. Find a way to stay busy and productive, it just doesn't need to be classes necessarily and lower your GPA.

1. What are the benefits of taking 18 credits per semester instead of spreading them out over a longer period of time?

One of the main benefits of taking 18 credits per semester is that you can potentially graduate earlier and save money on tuition. It also allows you to complete your degree requirements in a more focused and efficient manner.

2. Will taking 18 credits per semester be too overwhelming and affect my grades?

It depends on your time management skills and ability to handle a heavy workload. Taking 18 credits per semester can be challenging, but it is doable with proper planning and organization. It is important to prioritize your tasks and seek help from professors or tutors if needed.

3. How does taking 18 credits per semester impact my chances of getting into graduate school?

Taking 18 credits per semester can demonstrate to graduate schools that you are capable of handling a rigorous academic load. However, it is important to maintain a high GPA and also participate in extracurricular activities and research to strengthen your application.

4. Can I still participate in extracurricular activities and have a social life if I take 18 credits per semester?

It may require more time management and prioritization, but it is possible to balance a heavy course load with extracurricular activities and a social life. It is important to make time for self-care and relaxation to avoid burnout.

5. Is it necessary to take 18 credits per semester to graduate in 4 years?

No, it is not necessary to take 18 credits per semester to graduate in 4 years. It is possible to graduate in 4 years by taking a combination of 15-16 credits per semester, summer courses, and/or online courses. It is important to work closely with your academic advisor to create a plan that fits your academic goals and schedule.