Is This a Good Route to MSc Level Physics

• Studying
  • Thread starter FourEyedRaven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Msc Physics
In summary, the individual has a background in mathematics and is looking to learn theoretical physics up to the level of an MSc in Theoretical Physics. After researching books and online classes, the individual has come up with a plan that includes BSc and MSc level books, handbooks, and video lectures from various sources. They have chosen to focus on three main teachers for a more coherent understanding of the subject and have taken into consideration their previous knowledge in mathematics. The individual has a strong interest in theoretical physics and is open to alternative suggestions.
FourEyedRaven
Hi.

I have a background in mathematics and I want to learn physics up to the skill level of an MSc in Theoretical Physics (the background story is below, in case you have time to read that). I've been looking around for books and online classes and I've come up with this plan. What would you add, or correct? Do you think it provides a solid enough education in theoretical physics to apply to a PhD program?

BSc level theoretical physics books:

The Theoretical Physics series by Wolfgang Nolting. It covers the undergraduate core courses in 8 books:

(1) Classical Mechanics
(2) Analytical Mechanics
(3) Electrodynamics
(4) Special Theory of Relativity
(5) Thermodynamics
(6) Quantum Mechanics - basics
(7) Quantum Mechanics - methods & applications
(8) Statistical Physics.

MSc level theoretical physics books:

Steven Weinberg's books:

(1) Gravitation and Cosmology (general relativity)
(2) Lectures on Quantum Mechanics (preparation for quantum field theory)
(3) The Quantum Theory of Fields, vols 1, 2 and 3
(4) Cosmology

Handbooks:

In order to complement this core material whenever needed, I already have two handbooks:

(1) AIP Physics Desk Reference
(2) Fundamental Formulas of Physics, vols 1 and 2

Video Lectures:

The Leonard Susskind lectures on the theoretical minimum

The 6 core courses
(1) Classical Mechanics
(2) Quantum Mechanics
(3) Special Relativity and Electrodynamics
(4) General Relativity
(5) Cosmology
(6) Statistical Mechanics

The supplemental courses
(1) Advanced Quantum Mechanics
(2) The Higgs Boson
(3) Quantum Entanglement
(4) Relativity
(5) Particle Physics 1 - The Basic Concepts
(6) Particle Physics 2 - The Standard Model
(7) Particle Physics 3 - Supersymmetry and Grand Unification
(8) String Theory
(9) Cosmology and Black Holes

Background story and rationale for my choices: I have a BSc and MSc in Mathematics, which spares me the time needed to learn the background mathematics for physics, as well as computer modeling. (These are about 10 courses in a theoretical physics degree: Calculus 1, 2, and 3, Lineal Algebra, Numerical Analysis, Programming, Probability and Statistics, Mathematical Methods for Physics, Differential Geometry and Abstract Algebra). I will also not learn the experimental physics, nor the electronics and microprocessors, so it's about another 5 courses I won't spend time on. I deliberately chose only three teachers for the whole thing, so that I can have a more coherent view of the subject.
Before I went to learn math I wanted theoretical physics. I started the PhD program in mathematics but, for several reasons, I quickly got disenchanted and quit. The interest in theoretical physics came up again, so I decided to learn it by myself. I learned 90% of math this way, so I think I can probably do it with physics too. But this time I will not have the pressure of grades ruining most of the fun of an intellectual adventure. Even if I don't go and do a PhD in theoretical physics, or even if I don't finish this plan, it's something deeply interesting that I still want to do.

I realize this kind of question comes up a lot, but please give me your opinion.

Cheers,
FourEyedRaven

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll not suggest anything strictly, but I can provide alternatives:

Prof. V. Balakrishnan's lectures can be an alternative to Susskind's lectures (core courses). It's upto you to decide which you choose, because both are equally recommended. Links are below:

Classical Physics: http://www.nptel.ac.in/courses/122106027/

Quantum Physics: http://www.nptel.ac.in/courses/122106034/

Non-equilibrium statistical mechanics: http://www.nptel.ac.in/courses/115106091/

Likes FourEyedRaven

1. Is a bachelor's degree in physics necessary to pursue an MSc in physics?

Yes, typically a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is required for admission to an MSc program in physics. Some universities may also accept students with a bachelor's degree in a different field if they have taken relevant coursework in physics.

2. What kind of courses should I take in my undergraduate studies to prepare for an MSc in physics?

It is recommended to take courses in calculus, linear algebra, mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics to have a strong foundation for an MSc in physics. Other useful courses may include computer programming, statistics, and laboratory skills.

3. What is the difference between an MSc in physics and a PhD in physics?

An MSc in physics is a master's degree that typically takes 1-2 years to complete and focuses on coursework and research in a specific area of physics. A PhD in physics is a doctoral degree that involves more advanced research and typically takes 4-6 years to complete. A PhD is necessary for those interested in pursuing a career in academia or advanced research positions.

4. Can I pursue an MSc in physics if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, some universities offer conversion programs or bridge courses for students with a bachelor's degree in a different field to gain the necessary knowledge and skills for an MSc in physics. However, these programs may have additional requirements and may take longer to complete.

5. What career opportunities are available with an MSc in physics?

An MSc in physics can lead to various career opportunities in research and development, education, science communication, and technology industries. Some common job titles for MSc in physics graduates include research scientist, data analyst, engineer, and science teacher.