Classifying Rossby wave as long or short at 35°N with 500 km wavelength

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
geojon
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Consider a Rossby wave propagating in a homogeneous ocean with a water depth of 4,000m at 35o N latitude. If the wave length of this wave is 500km, is this a long or short Rossby wave?

Homework Equations


shortwaves: |kx-1| <<RD
longwaves: |kx-1| >> RD

kx is the x-component of the wave number, k. wavenumber = 2pie/λ
-kx = k

RD = Rossby Radius of Deformation = (gh)1/2 / ƒ
where ƒ is the Coriolis parameter.

The Attempt at a Solution


RD = Rossby Radius of Deformation = (gh)1/2 / ƒ = 2.38 x 106m. ƒ is in seconds-1, RD is in meters.

-kx = k = 2Pie / λ. = 1.26 x 10-5 rad m-1.

I want to compare |kx-1| to RD. How do I change my units for kx?? Because I cannot compare something in rad*m-1 to meters.

I think that I have to change the radians to a distance, using the Earth's radius (6,371 km), at a latitude of 35o North. This is where I am stumped??
 
Physics news on Phys.org