Is this a Stirling number of the second kind?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter HAYAO
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Phonon Stirling
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
381
Reaction score
238
I saw this paper that talks about phonon sidebands, multiphonon relaxation, and phonon-assisted energy transfer.

I was skimming through each of the equations, but I have problem understanding the formulation of some of them, for example Equation (3.17):
[tex]g_{\pm }(t) = \int d\omega \begin{Bmatrix} n_{\omega }\\ n_{\omega } +1 \end{Bmatrix}exp\left ( \pm i\omega t \right )[/tex]

If I understand correctly, the part in the braces is the Stirling numbers of the second kind. However, it doesn't make sense to me that the bottom number is larger than the top number, because that should only give zero. So is this something else?

EDIT: dear the moderators. I wasn't really sure where this thread belongs. Purely from mathematics, this thread could belong in the math section, but considering that the discussion centers around the physical aspect of a quantum mechanical phenomena, I decided to put this in this section.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Iliody
Physics news on Phys.org
Demystifier said:
I haven't seen the paper, but would it make sense that upper (lower) case corresponds to the plus (minus) sign?
Oh, now it makes great sense. Sorry for the bum question. Thank you very much!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier