Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this DCS 520 camera still any good?

1. Dec 19, 2014 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have this camera, unopened in a box. "The DCS 500 series of 1998 was also based on the Canon EOS-1N, and comprised the 2-megapixel DCS 520 and the 6-megapixel DCS 560, which initially had a suggested retail price of $28,500."

I have the DCS 520 6 megapixel.

Of course, it's not that valuable now, maybe $400? Any of you that know cameras can tell me about it? Will it become a "classic" or an outdated old camera?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Any good?" Probably functional if it isn't running on a discontinued battery or memory device. "A valuable collectors' item?" Depends on how many like it get landfilled over the next century. I've got four 35 mm cameras, plus lenses, that cost me a bundle, and they're all now very nice, expensive junk. Last time I hit a camera show antiques (Graflex, Hasselblad, Leica) weren't down to "dime a dozen," but aren't going to cover retirement. They may come back the way LPs and turntables are coming back for fad hobbyists, but I'm not holding my breath for it any more than for a return of VCRs, 8-tracs, portable typewriters.

4. Dec 20, 2014 #3

Evo

Yeah, I saw some for sale and they were in the $400 price range. My mom had a great Leica, I have a Nikon, Cannon, and just about every other name. I was going to give this one away for Christmas, if it wasn't a PITA to use. I know it was a "professional" model, so it might be too much trouble to learn to use.

Eh, I'll see if this person has an interest in it, it supposedly had some unusual abilities. Heck, it's FREE. it could be a paperweight.

5. Dec 20, 2014 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You have one of these cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakdcs520
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/cameras/dcs560/dcs560Index.jhtml

Unopened in a box? Even though it's not my business, I'm curious how this came to be...

Either one is effectively worthless now. Hopefully you have some good lenses- good lenses, unlike camera bodies, retain their value over time.

6. Dec 20, 2014 #5

Evo

The camera was given to me about ~13-14 years ago. It looked frightening, so I never opened the box. I was hoping someone might use it, it's such a shame. It may not be up to today's standards, but surely it takes decent pictures?

My first husband was a camera buff, and tried to teach me, all of the f stops and aperture, using a light filter AAARRGH. I wanted to point and shoot. He had tons of weird filters and lenses, he accidentally took our wedding photos in infra red film, he had a dark room, he handled photography for NASA at one of their contractors. I just found it too difficult to meet his high standards. He felt "you've had two days to learn this". :oldcry:

7. Dec 21, 2014 #6

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Probably, but it's going to be much more difficult to use than a cell phone, which will take equivalent (or even better) photos. Then there's issues like battery life/charging, getting the data off the camera, etc... presumably it can output a standard data format. I found this site that may be helpful:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/professional/products/ekn017489.jhtml

Honestly, it's really about the lens- if you have decent lenses for the camera, it may be worth resurrecting- OTOH, for $400 you can get a modern DSLR body that outputs jpgs.

8. Dec 21, 2014 #7

Evo

Thanks...so, it's a doorstop. That's what I was afraid of. :(

9. Dec 23, 2014 #8

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, um, if you have boxes and boxes of these $400 doorstops you want to get rid of, I have a truck, and can be over in the next few days.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook