Can Electromagnets Achieve Levitation?

• Thread starter thebluser
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of magnetic levitation and whether it can be achieved using an electromagnet and a magnet. The question is if the device will levitate when the power is switched on and the flow to the electromagnet is increased and decreased. The answer is yes, as long as the magnets are strong enough and the device is secured to a pole for stability. The conversation also mentions that there are many resources available online for science projects involving magnetic levitation.
thebluser
so let's say that i take and electromagnet and a magnet. i connect them to a position where if i turn on the power they will repel each other(the magnet is on top and is connected to the bottom electromagnet). my question: will it levitate when i switch the power on and increasing and deacreasing the flow to the electromagnet? imagine that there's enough electricity flowing to the electromagnet to repel the whole device weight. I am not sure youll understand this question but if you dont, its okay :p.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just DO it and find out?

because i don't have the materials.

thebluser said:
because i don't have the materials.

well its very cheap and easy to make an electro moagnet
... say 100ft of 20swg of enamelled copper wire, a piece of iron for the core say 4 inches long and 1 inch diameter approx ( not critical) and a power supply that can supply say ~ 12VDC at ~ 5Amps max

and many hobby shops will sell permanent magnets

Dave

thebluser said:
so let's say that i take and electromagnet and a magnet. i connect them to a position where if i turn on the power they will repel each other(the magnet is on top and is connected to the bottom electromagnet). my question: will it levitate when i switch the power on and increasing and deacreasing the flow to the electromagnet? imagine that there's enough electricity flowing to the electromagnet to repel the whole device weight. I am not sure youll understand this question but if you dont, its okay :p.

You will need to secure the levitating magnet or electromagnet to a pole to keep it in a stable position, but yes it will levitate if the magnets are strong enough. You can do this experiment with 2 permanent magnets that are ring shaped. Stick them onto a rod or something that will hold them in position with like sides facing each other. Cheap and easy.

Using the Google search terms “science projects magnetic levitation” I found many sites describing such projects. Some are complicated, some are simple, but all of them illustrate the phenomenon of magnetic levitation. Here are just two to get you started:

http://www.paksc.org/pk/science-experiments/physics-experiments/item/792-magnetic-levitation-science-project.html

http://www.levitationfun.com/

See also youtube.

thank you all for your very good answers :)

1. What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet created by passing an electrical current through a coil of wire. This creates a magnetic field, allowing the electromagnet to attract objects made of magnetic materials.

2. How does an electromagnet levitate?

The levitation of an object using an electromagnet is possible due to the interaction between the magnetic fields of the object and the electromagnet. When the magnetic fields are aligned in a specific way, the object can be suspended in mid-air.

3. Can any object be levitated using an electromagnet?

No, only objects made of magnetic materials can be levitated using an electromagnet. This includes materials such as iron, nickel, and cobalt.

4. What are some practical applications of electromagnet levitation?

Electromagnet levitation has several practical applications, including magnetic levitation trains or "maglev" trains, which use electromagnets to levitate and propel the train, resulting in faster and smoother rides. It is also used in certain medical imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5. Are there any limitations to electromagnet levitation?

Yes, there are some limitations to electromagnet levitation. The strength of the magnetic field and the weight of the object being levitated are important factors. Additionally, the levitation may not be stable and can be easily disrupted by external factors such as vibrations or changes in temperature.