Is this problem really this simple?

• Thread starter wakejosh
  • Start date
In summary, the average acceleration of a 50-gram ball bouncing off a brick wall and rebounding at 22 m/s is -13400 m/s/s during the 3.5 ms contact time. This is based on an initial velocity of 25 m/s and a final velocity of -22 m/s. The acceleration is negative due to the direction away from the wall.
wakejosh
3. A 50-gram ball traveling at 25 m/s is bounced off a brick wall and
rebounds at 22 m/s. A high-speed camera records this event. If the ball is in contact with the wall for 3.5 ms, what is the average acceleration of the ball during this time interval?

so is this as simple as 25+22= 47 then, 47/2= 23.5 m/s/s ?

im confused with the wording of this question. Is it asking what is the average velocity of the ball during the 3.5 seconds while its in contact with the wall? if so, is it just an average of the entry velocity and the exit velocity? (sorry i don't know the real terms). I am also guessing that the answer would be in M/s/s but I am not sure how to do the conversion, this is my first physics class.. any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
wakejosh said:
Is it asking what is the average velocity of the ball during the 3.5 seconds while its in contact with the wall?
No, it's asking for the average acceleration. (Note that velocity has units of m/s, but acceleration has units of m/s/s.)

To find the average acceleration, first find the change in velocity. Remember that direction (and thus sign) counts.

[tex]a_{ave} = \Delta v / \Delta t[/tex]

ok.. so

25 m/s -22 m/s = 3 m/s is the change in velocity

so my change in time is just 3.5 ms or 0.0035 s ?

so is it just 3 / 0.0035 = 857 m/s/s?

wakejosh said:
25 m/s -22 m/s = 3 m/s is the change in velocity
No. Realize that the initial and final velocities are in opposite directions and thus have opposite signs.

Pick a sign convention. Let's call "towards the wall" to be positive; "away from the wall", negative. Now state the initial and final velocities. (The change will be final minus initial.)

so my change in time is just 3.5 ms or 0.0035 s ?
Right.

yea.. i understand the negative part. in my work I actually figured it to be -3 m/s but my answers to choose from were all positive.

so is it going to be -857 m/s/s ? or something totally different?

How did you get that answer?

(In selecting your answer, I'm sure all they care about is the magnitude of the acceleration, which is always positive.)

Doc Al said:
How did you get that answer?
3 / 0.0035 = 857 m/s/s

Reread what I wrote in post #4. The change in velocity is not 3 (or -3).

Doc Al said:
Reread what I wrote in post #4. The change in velocity is not 3 (or -3).

25 - (-22) = 47

so

47/0.0035 = 13,428 m/s/s

thats got to be it. durrr.. sorry.. ty for the help

Now you're cooking. Using the sign convention I suggested, I get:

Vi = +25 m/s
Vf = -22 m/s

Change in V = Vf - Vi = -22 - 25 = -47
Thus the average acceleration is -13400 m/s/s.

The minus sign just means that the direction of the acceleration is away from the wall.

1. Is this problem really as simple as it seems?

It is possible that the problem may seem simple on the surface, but there could be underlying complexities that make it more difficult to solve. It is important to thoroughly analyze the problem before making assumptions about its simplicity.

2. How can I determine if a problem is truly simple?

One way to determine the simplicity of a problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts and analyze each part separately. This can help identify any potential challenges or complexities within the problem.

3. Can a problem be both simple and complex at the same time?

Yes, a problem can have simple components and complex components. It is important to identify which parts are simple and which parts are complex in order to effectively solve the problem.

4. Are there any benefits to simplifying a problem?

Yes, simplifying a problem can make it easier to understand and solve. It can also help save time and resources by eliminating unnecessary complexities.

5. How can I ensure that I am not oversimplifying a problem?

One way to avoid oversimplification is to seek input and feedback from others. This can help identify any potential complexities that may have been overlooked. Additionally, continuously reassessing and reevaluating the problem can help ensure that it is being approached in the most effective way.