Calculating Average Acceleration of 52g Super Ball

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the average acceleration of a bouncing Super Ball recorded by a high-speed camera. The formula for average acceleration is v(final)-v(initial)/t(final)-t(initial). The mass of the ball is not relevant to the calculation. The correct calculation should take into account the direction and signs of the velocities, with the initial velocity being positive 28 m/s. The time interval should also be converted to seconds for accurate results.
nbroyle1
A 52.0-g Super Ball traveling at 28.0 m/s bounces off a brick wall and rebounds at 16.5 m/s. A high-speed camera records this event. If the ball is in contact with the wall for 3.60 ms, what is the magnitude of the average acceleration of the ball during this time interval?

Im not really sure what formula to use for this problem. I don't think the mass of the ball is relevant to the average acceleration but not sure. I know average acceleration is
v(final)-v(initial)/t(final)-t(initial)

Physics news on Phys.org
nbroyle1 said:
I know average acceleration is
v(final)-v(initial)/t(final)-t(initial)
That's the one you need. Hint: Velocity is a vector, so direction--and signs--matter.

ok i tried plugging into the equation is this correct 16.5-28/.0036? I converted the miliseconds to seconds for the denominator.

nbroyle1 said:
ok i tried plugging into the equation is this correct 16.5-28/.0036?
No. You made an error with signs. If the initial velocity is +28 m/s, what is the final velocity after the rebound?
I converted the miliseconds to seconds for the denominator.
Good.

Oh gotcha! ok thanks!

1. How do you calculate the average acceleration of a 52g super ball?

The average acceleration of a 52g super ball can be calculated by using the formula: average acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity)/time. First, measure the initial velocity of the ball, then measure the final velocity after a certain amount of time has passed. Finally, divide the difference in velocity by the time to get the average acceleration.

2. What is the unit of measurement for average acceleration?

The unit of measurement for average acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. How does the mass of the super ball affect its average acceleration?

The mass of the super ball does not directly affect its average acceleration. However, it can affect the force acting on the ball, which can then impact its acceleration. In general, a lighter ball will experience a greater acceleration than a heavier ball when acted upon by the same force.

4. Can the average acceleration of a super ball be negative?

Yes, the average acceleration of a super ball can be negative. This would occur if the ball is slowing down, such as when it is thrown upwards and begins to fall back down towards the ground. In this case, the initial velocity would be greater than the final velocity, resulting in a negative average acceleration.

5. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the average acceleration of a super ball?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the average acceleration of a super ball include air resistance, friction, and the precision of the measurements taken for initial and final velocity. It is important to minimize these factors as much as possible in order to obtain a more accurate calculation of average acceleration.