1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this Spring schedule too difficult?

1. Jan 2, 2013 #1
    Atomic & Nuclear Physics - 3
    Advanced Physics Lab - 2
    Mechanical and Electromagnetic Waves - 3
    Intermediate Microbiology - 4
    Intermediate Microbiology Lab - 0
    Research in Physics - 1
    Fencing - 1

That's 14 credits. I need at least 12 for my scholarships.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Labs can take up a lot of your extra time. I always thought it was best to do one lab course per semester.

4. Jan 2, 2013 #3
    What is mechanical and electromagnetic waves?

5. Jan 2, 2013 #4
    It's the second half of Griffith's Electrodynamics mixed with French's Vibrations & Waves.

6. Jan 2, 2013 #5

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

Thats odd. Most people that Ive spoken with have had french before grifiths. Have you already covered the first half of griffiths?

In any case, I think 13 credits of science is a rather light to medium load.

7. Jan 5, 2013 #6
    I'm not sure how anyone here can evaluate how difficult your courseload is based solely on the titles of the courses. For all we know "Atomic & Nuclear Physics" is taught by an emeritus professor who's super laid-back and the class only requires a few hours a week, while "Intermediate Microbiology" is taught by someone who believes their subject to be incredibly important and wants students devoting 20 hours a week to it. Nobody here knows this. It would probably be better to ask older students at your university.

8. Jan 5, 2013 #7

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I'm going to give you my generic advice on how to test if a courseload is heavy or not.

1-Make a Spreadsheet that has all the days and hours
    2-Put classes in respective time slots
    3-schedule 8 hours of sleep
    4-schedule normal eating times
    5-schedule normal relaxing.hobby.working out time
    6-schedule estimated homework/study time (Better estimate is obtain by talking to students who have takent he class.)
    7-Determine if this look reasonable or if you'll be in a time crunch.
    8-Eat Tacos.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook