Is this statement regarding mathematics true? (yes basic)

• Thread starter TalkOrigin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the last poster on the website mentioned that mathematics sometimes makes assumptions that do not hold in the real world. They used the example of a triangle drawn around the sun, where the angles would add up to more than 180° due to the curvature of space. This idea goes against the common belief that mathematics is an expression of reality independent of any variables. The poster also mentioned non-Euclidean geometries, specifically elliptic geometry, as an example of this concept.
TalkOrigin
I'm clueless on mathematics and will soon begin the long road into its academic study. I saw this statement on the following website:
http://everything2.com/title/the+difference+between+mathematics+and+physics

the last poster says this:

"sometimes mathematics makes assumptions different to what holds in the real world. If I draw a triangle around the sun, the angles will add up to more than 180° because gravity curves space. Mathematics works only within the assumptions you put into it."

Is this true? Kind of goes against what I would assume is the purpose of mathematics (I thought mathematics was a expression of reality not dependent upon variables of reality?)

Thanks, and yes I know this is basic!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's not really all that basic; no need to apologize. The poster appears to be talking about non-Euclidean geometries, specifically elliptic geometry. So yes, it's real.

Thanks =)

Well, that completely shattered any thoughts I had on mathematics haha

1. Is math a universal language?

Yes, math is considered a universal language because it is used to communicate and understand concepts and ideas regardless of cultural or linguistic differences.

2. Is math the same in every country?

While the basic principles and concepts of math are the same across the world, there may be variations in notation and terminology between different countries. However, the underlying principles remain the same.

3. Can everyone learn math?

Yes, everyone has the ability to learn math. While some may have a natural aptitude for it, with proper instruction and practice, anyone can develop their math skills.

4. Is math just about numbers?

No, math is not just about numbers. It also involves understanding and applying concepts such as patterns, relationships, and logic. Math is used in various fields including science, engineering, and finance.

5. Is math an objective or subjective subject?

Math is considered an objective subject because it is based on logical reasoning and follows a set of rules and principles. However, interpretation and application of math concepts can be subjective in certain cases.