Is this the correct explanation? (phase equilibria)

In summary, the conversation discusses the equilibrium of a reaction involving solid NaCl and aqueous NaCl solution. The correct answer to a question about the phase equilibrium is B, as the solution must be saturated in order for the equilibrium to exist. This means that the remaining solid NaCl cannot dissolve any further and will remain solid.
TT0

Homework Statement

Given the following reaction that has reached equilibrium: NaCl(s)←→NaCl(aq).
For the phase equilibrium to exist, the NaCl(aq) must be a solution that is

A. concentrated
B. saturated
C. dilute
D. heated
E. unsaturated

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose B. My explanation is that the scenario is a block of salt is put into a beaker of water. The equilibrium exists when the solution is saturated so the remaining block cannot dissolve anymore and will stay solid. Is this the correct explanation? I am making sure because I have never seen a question like this before. Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am sorry about the misleading topic of the thread, I typed the wrong thing in.

*Ignore this, I just saw how to edit the title.

Yes, B it is. If the solution is not saturated, solid NaCl can't exist in the equilibrium with the solution - it will dissolve (until solution saturates).

Likes TT0

1. What is phase equilibria and why is it important in science?

Phase equilibria is the study of the distribution of different phases (such as solid, liquid, and gas) in a system at a given temperature and pressure. It is important in science because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of materials and substances under different conditions.

2. How is phase equilibria determined in a system?

Phase equilibria can be determined through experiments and calculations, where the composition and conditions of the system are varied and the resulting phases are observed and measured. This data is then used to plot phase diagrams and determine the equilibrium conditions.

3. Can phase equilibria be affected by external factors?

Yes, phase equilibria can be influenced by external factors such as changes in temperature or pressure, addition of impurities, or presence of a catalyst. These factors can shift the equilibrium point and change the distribution of phases in a system.

4. Are there any real-life applications of phase equilibria?

Phase equilibria has many practical applications in various fields such as chemistry, material science, and engineering. It is used to design and optimize processes in industries such as oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, and food production. It is also important in understanding natural phenomena such as the formation of minerals and the behavior of Earth's atmosphere.

5. How does phase equilibria relate to thermodynamics?

Phase equilibria is closely related to thermodynamics, as both deal with the study of energy and its transformations in a system. Phase equilibria is a branch of thermodynamics that specifically focuses on the equilibrium conditions of different phases in a system. It utilizes concepts such as free energy and entropy to explain the behavior of phases at different temperatures and pressures.