Find Ksp of KHT: Determine [K+] and [HT-]

• Thread starter fizzex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ksp
In summary, the conversation is about determining the concentrations of K+ and HT- in a solution containing 0.950 g of KHT dissolved in 25.00 mL of solution at temperature Tp. The goal is to find the Ksp value at this temperature. The method of using an ICE table is considered, but it is realized that a Kc value is needed for this approach. An alternative method using the molar mass of KHT is suggested.
fizzex

Homework Statement

Determine [K+] and [HT-] in this solution. If the temperature is Tp, a trace of solid is present and reaction is at equilibrium. Determine Ksp at this temperature.
There is 0.950 g of KHT dissolved in 25.00 mL of solution.

Homework Equations

KHT(s) ⇔ K+(aq) + HT-(aq)
Ksp = [K+][HT-]

The Attempt at a Solution

I originally thought to set up an ICE table to find the concentrations of K+ and HT- at equilibrium. With the concentrations, I figured I could then multiply them to get my Ksp value. I realized, however, I do not have a Kc value to use to solve for x. Is there any other way to find Ksp that I'm just missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
No need for ICE table, all you need to calculate concentrations is a molar mass of KHT.

1. What is Ksp?

Ksp, or the solubility product constant, is a measure of the maximum amount of a compound that can be dissolved in a solvent at a given temperature. It is a constant value for a specific compound at a specific temperature.

2. How is Ksp calculated?

Ksp is calculated by multiplying the concentrations of the ions in a saturated solution of a compound. For example, for KHT, the calculation would be [K+][HT-]. The concentrations of the ions can be determined experimentally or through other methods such as using a solubility table.

3. What is the purpose of finding Ksp?

The purpose of finding Ksp is to determine the maximum amount of a compound that can be dissolved in a solvent, as well as to predict the solubility of a compound in different conditions. It also provides information about the strength of the bond between the ions in the compound.

4. How do you determine the concentrations of [K+] and [HT-]?

The concentrations of [K+] and [HT-] can be determined by performing a titration experiment or through other methods such as using a spectrophotometer. The concentrations can also be calculated using the known molarities of the solutions used in the experiment.

5. What factors can affect the value of Ksp?

The value of Ksp can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and the presence of other ions in the solution. It can also be influenced by the formation of complexes or the addition of a common ion. Additionally, the purity of the compound and the method used to determine the concentrations of the ions can also affect the value of Ksp.