Is Time Compression really possible? Or is it just nonsense?

In summary, according to Lorentz, observation of time in another inertial reference frame is ALWAYS dilated. However, on some other forum it is claimed that due to "Complex Lorentz Transformations", Time Compression is possible. Whether this is true or not is unknown.
Michio Cuckoo
Time Compression and Length Expansion are the opposite effects of Time Dilation and Length Contraction.

According to Lorentz, observation of time in another inertial reference frame is ALWAYS dilated.

But I read on some other forum that due to "Complex Lorentz Transformations", Time Compression is actually possible.

Is this true?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Michio Cuckoo said:
Time Compression and Length Expansion are the opposite effects of Time Dilation and Length Contraction.

According to Lorentz, observation of time in another inertial reference frame is ALWAYS dilated.

But I read on some other forum that due to "Complex Lorentz Transformations", Time Compression is actually possible.

Is this true?

You would need to provide a link to the other messages for anyone to say whether what was posted was true or not.

In "complex" cases involving accelerated observers, any value is possible (greater than 1, less than 1 and even negative values) because time dilation is just a geometric projection.

Michio Cuckoo said:

Is this true?

Yes, but we know of no way to "accelerate" to velocities like [itex]\left(5+3\cdot i\right)\ \dfrac{\mathrm{m}}{\mathrm{s}}[/itex]. I've had a good time thinking about what would be possible if we could, but at the moment, we don't even think such velocities exist (?), let alone be able to travel at them.

Whovian said:
Yes, but we know of no way to "accelerate" to velocities like [itex]\left(5+3\cdot i\right)\ \dfrac{\mathrm{m}}{\mathrm{s}}[/itex]. I've had a good time thinking about what would be possible if we could, but at the moment, we don't even think such velocities exist (?), let alone be able to travel at them.

The Earth is continually accelerating as it orbits the Sun. That alone is enough to cause 'interesting' effects. A trick question to consider is "How many lives does a cat living in the Andromeda Galaxy need if it is to survive Schroedinger's Experiment?" from our point of view.

1. Can time really be compressed, or is it just a concept?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that time compression is possible. It is often used as a concept in science fiction and theoretical physics, but it has not been proven to exist in reality.

2. What is the theory behind time compression?

The theory of time compression suggests that it is possible to manipulate time in such a way that it appears to pass faster or slower than normal. This is often tied to the concept of time dilation, which is a proven phenomenon in which time appears to pass differently for objects in different states of motion.

3. Is there any scientific research or experiments done on time compression?

There have been some experiments and theories proposed about time compression, but none of them have been proven or replicated in a controlled scientific setting. Some theories suggest that gravity or extreme speeds could cause time to pass differently, but these are still hypothetical and have not been proven.

4. How does time compression relate to the concept of time travel?

Time compression and time travel are often linked in science fiction, but they are two separate concepts. Time travel refers to the ability to move through different points in time, while time compression refers to the manipulation of time itself. Time travel is also still a theoretical concept and has not been proven to exist.

5. Are there any potential dangers or consequences of time compression?

Since time compression has not been proven to exist, there are no known dangers or consequences associated with it. However, some scientists have theorized that if it were possible, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics.