Is transferring to a different school the solution for my low GPA in CSE?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Llama77
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Llama77
Messages
113
Reaction score
0
I am currently a Computer/Electrical engineering student at the University at Buffalo. I do truly love the topics of the discipline and love to learn. I think that I am a good student, I try to learn as much as possible, I go above and beyond and learn more than they teach. Even though I feel I am a good student my gpa is not so great it is only a 2.84, I am just not a good test taker and I also have a learning disability, but i don't use it as a crutch. Like I mentioned before I go to the University at Buffalo and while I feel they have a pretty good CS and EE department, I simply feel I could do better. The school is cheap and I pretty much go for free, I only have to pay for food and living. I don't feel my grades are going to get much better, I feel they will stay pretty consistent and I feel this is good even though the classes later in the curriculum will become much harder. Should I or could I try to go to a better school, I just kinda feel I should be at a better school. Or should I just stick it out
 
Physics news on Phys.org
LLama...
if you say a "better" school the courses are going to be even harder thus your gpa is going to be even worse. You can be a good student but if your GPA continues to stay that low your going to have a hard time being accepted into the major if there are restrictions and also finding an internship/co-op.

For instance when i was accepted into the Computer Engineering Major at Penn State I had to have a GPA of a 3.5 and above I had a 3.80 So i was accepted.

I then switched to Computer Science because I didn't enjoy the upper level Comp Engineering classes, but even in COmp Sci you had to have a gpa of at least a 3.3 to get accepted.
 
I don't see what transferring to another university would do. Just stick it out, raise your grades, and go to grad school at another school. The excuse that you are bored, and that the classes are too easy so your GPA is low, does not work in college. At the university level you are expected to be mature, and you must do the work even if it's too easy or you are bored.

Stick it out.