1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is UManitoba an Okay university for physics?

1. Feb 13, 2016 #1
    I got into USask, UAlberta, UVic, and UManitoba. However, UManitoba is the only university offering my financial aid to the extent that I will need to take out only a small student loan.
    I intend to study physics with the goal of getting into a decent physics grad-school. If I go to UManitoba, will it significantly hurt my grad-school chances? There doesn't seem to be any information about undergraduate research on the physics page. There are a handful of undergraduate research awards (http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/science/people/1465.html) but nothing specific to physics.

Program page: http://crscalprod1.cc.umanitoba.ca/...d=1523&topicgroupid=11234&loaduseredits=False

I sent an email asking about their grad school placement record, but I won't receive a reply until next week.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2016 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

They have a fine reputation.

I know that the University of Manitoba has a great medical physics graduate program. I can't really speak to the details of the undergraduate program, but no one is going to weigh your graduate application differently because of the university's reputation.

4. Feb 13, 2016 #3

klotza

Gold Member

It doesn't have a reputation for being one of the best in Canada, but it's still a good school. Of the four you mentioned, I'd put UVic and UAlberta as the 1 and 2. I would say that if you have good grades, your undergraduate university doesn't really affect your chances at grad school. If you want to work with the most prestigious prof at the most prestigious university, it might start to become relevant, but it usually isn't at the grad application level.

5. Feb 14, 2016 #4
  6. Feb 14, 2016 #5

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think they're on par with each other - at least to the extent that any school-specific advantages or disadvantages one or the other may confer would be insignificant compared to factors that would directly influence your performance (scholarships translating into more time for studies, living closer to home, enjoying the school atmosphere etc.). So you're best bet is making your choice based on personal preference factors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook