Is x^2 + y^2 = 4R^2 a Cylinder or a Circle in 3D Space?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter whatisreality
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
whatisreality
Messages
286
Reaction score
1
I don't think this goes in the homework section because I don't actually want help answering the question, I want to know what it means!

Consider the volume V inside the cylinder x2 +y2 = 4R2 and between z = (x2 + 3y2)/R and the (x,y) plane, where x, y, z are Cartesian coordinates and R is a constant. Write down a triple integral for the volume V using cylindrical coordinates. Include the limits of integration (three upper and three lower). Evaluate the integral to determine the volume V in terms of R.

My main problem is when it asks about the cylinder x2 +y2 = 4R2. I'm nearly 100% sure that equation is not actually for a cylinder but for a circle! And I'm not entirely clear on whether I'm integrating two shapes, as in two volume integrals, or it's describing just one big shape.

In the latter case, I still don't know where cylinders come into it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation is for a circle but you also have that ##z## varies between the ##xy##-plane and ##(x^2+3y^2)/R##. If you stack a lot of circles on top of each other you get a cylinder. So the first equation only describe one part of the cylinder while the third coordinate, ##z## is free too change value.
So the equation is a circle if you were in a plane, If you were in 3d-space you have an infinite cylinder if you didn't have any restrictions on ##z##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: whatisreality
I draw the shape of that cylinder with [itex]R=1[/itex].
 
Attachments
  • 3dplot-page-001.jpg
    3dplot-page-001.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 429
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: whatisreality
whatisreality said:
Consider the volume V inside the cylinder x2 +y2 = 4R2 and between z = (x2 + 3y2)/R and the (x,y) plane, where x, y, z are Cartesian coordinates and R is a constant.

Incand said:
The equation is for a circle but you also have that ##z## varies between the ##xy##-plane and ##(x^2+3y^2)/R##. If you stack a lot of circles on top of each other you get a cylinder. So the first equation only describe one part of the cylinder while the third coordinate, ##z## is free too change value.
So the equation is a circle if you were in a plane, If you were in 3d-space you have an infinite cylinder if you didn't have any restrictions on ##z##.
In three dimensions (which is implied by the statement that x, y, and z are coordinates), the equation (##x^2 + y^2 = 4R^2##) is a right circular cylinder. Since z does not appear in the equation, it is arbitrary.
 
Mark44 said:
In three dimensions (which is implied by the statement that x, y, and z are coordinates), the equation (##x^2 + y^2 = 4R^2##) is a right circular cylinder. Since z does not appear in the equation, it is arbitrary.
Arbitrary as opposed to zero?
 
Mark44 said:
"Arbitrary" means "any value."
I know. So arbitrary means it can take the value zero and others, as opposed to just zero, which is what I thought the equation meant. Shouldn't the z appear somewhere in the equation though? I feel like this is quite a basic concept I've misunderstood or missed! Oops!
 
whatisreality said:
I know. So arbitrary means it can take the value zero and others, as opposed to just zero, which is what I thought the equation meant. Shouldn't the z appear somewhere in the equation though? I feel like this is quite a basic concept I've misunderstood or missed! Oops!
No, z doesn't have to appear in the equation. In the plane, the equation x = 2 is a vertical line. Here, y is not mentioned, and it is arbitrary, so every point in the plane with coordinates (2, y) is a point on this line. The situation is similar for your cylinder equation.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK and whatisreality
Oh, I get it! Ok, that is a really important thing to know. Also know what the question is asking now! Thanks for your help :)