Is zero positive or negative ?

Analog clocks don't have a second hand for the hour, so for a split second (or infinitesimal moment), both the hour hand and minute hand will be between 12 and 1. So technically, it is neither 12 nor 1 at that moment.
OK, so what you're saying is that the law

A∩Ac=∅fails. Right? Because that's what I used in (2)==> (3).

So, let me prove that, tell me where I went wrong:

By contradiction: Take x in A∩Ac
==> x is in A AND x is in Ac
==> x is in A AND x is not in A
Contradiction
So there does not exist x∈A∩Ac. So A∩Ac=∅.

So, where did I go wrong here?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
OK, so what you're saying is that the law

[tex]A\cap A^c=\emptyset[/tex]

fails. Right? Because that's what I used in (2)==> (3).

So, let me prove that, tell me where I went wrong:

By contradiction: Take x in [itex]A\cap A^c[/itex]
==> x is in A AND x is in [itex]A^c[/itex]
==> x is in A AND x is not in A
Contradiction
So there does not exist [itex]x\in A\cap A^c[/itex]. So [itex]A\cap A^c=\emptyset[/itex].

So, where did I go wrong here?

I am having some trouble decoding Tex

Does the first line say 'take x in A or A complement'?

It would help if you can post it in words.

My previous post is now TeX-free.

micromass said:
My previous post is now TeX-free.

Thank you for Tex-free. I really mean that.

A intersection Ac = emty set

Not according to this, if x is considered the boundary

The boundary of a set is closed. The boundary of a set is the boundary of the complement of the set

Found here

EDIT: I posted the wrong link. Here is the right link

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_(topology)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalence_relation

this last link is helpfull in analyzing -0 = 0 = +0 under reflexive, symmetric, and transitive.

Last edited:
agentredlum said:
Thank you for Tex-free. I really mean that.

A intersection Ac = emty set

Not according to this, if x is considered the boundary

The boundary of a set is closed. The boundary of a set is the boundary of the complement of the set

Found here

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalence_relation

Boundary has nothing to do with this. Points in the boundary either lie in A or Ac, not in both. So boundary points are no contradiction to A intersection Ac = emptyset.

I observe that you did not point out the flaw in my proof...

micromass said:
Boundary has nothing to do with this. Points in the boundary either lie in A or Ac, not in both. So boundary points are no contradiction to A intersection Ac = emptyset.

I observe that you did not point out the flaw in my proof...

what does this mean in YOUR world?

agentredlum said:

So??

Care to explain what was wrong in my proof of A intersection Ac=empty??

agentredlum said:
This was the first sentence of my argument.

'Consider the real number line.'

BTW Mark44 'explanation' works ONLY if you accept the definition that zero has no sign. If, for whatever reason, one decides to question that definition, his clever argument doesn't make sense.
With all due respect, this is a specious argument. No serious mathematician believes that zero has a sign. The definition for positive in my dictionary (American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language) has this definition:
12. Mathematics. Pertaining to or designating: a. A quantity greater than zero."
The definition for negative is a "quantity less than zero."

If we can't agree on the definitions of basic terms, then further discussion is futile.
agentredlum said:
Heres what he did...

He took an apple, decided to define it as a banana, then he put it in a bag with other apples and concluded that he now had a bag full of apples and 1 banana. In fact the bag contains only apples. His definition of a particular apple is irrelevant. It is what it is.
You are mischaracterizing what I said in post #94, which I'll add here verbatim.
Mark44 said:
If I buy a bag of apples and a banana at the store, and the checker puts the banana in with the apples, that doesn't mean that the banana has somehow turned into an apple. All it means is that the bag has apples and a banana in it.
I have a bag of apples. I have a banana. The checker rings these items up, and puts the banana in with the apples. The bag contains several apples and one banana. I don't know how to say it more simply than that.

agentredlum said:
The fact still remains that

-0 = 0 = +0

For real numbers, any of the above symbols work.
The question about whether zero is positive or negative (by implication from the question, we are talking about real numbers only) has been answered long ago in this thread. There is no point in going on and on about how the terms "positive" and "negative" are defined, so I am locking the thread.