How Can I Calculate Negative Multiplication Without Following Traditional Rules?

pyroclasticsoul
Do NOT delete your Original Post after you have received replies and help
TL;DR Summary
Negative times positive
Say I have 6 pencils. I want to times this by negative two. Now ignoring the rules that your teacher taught you work this out. 6 pencils negative 2 times. Negative one time would be 0 and another negative times would be -6 right? So 6 x - 2 = -6 according to simple logic. The calculator will say -12 but if I took 6 away from 6 3 times that would be -12.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Mathematics news on Phys.org
pyroclasticsoul said:
TL;DR Summary: Negative times positive

Say I have 6 pencils. I want to times this by negative two. Now ignoring the rules that your teacher taught you work this out. 6 pencils negative 2 times. Negative one time would be 0 and another negative times would be -6 right? So 6 x - 2 = -6 according to simple logic. The calculator will say -12 but if I took 6 away from 6 3 times that would be -12.
No. You started out with 6. "I have 6 pencils." You're describing 6 + -2x6 which equals -6.

If you had started out with zero, then the final answer would indeed be -12.

Likes fresh_42
DaveC426913 said:
No. You started out with 6. "I have 6 pencils." You're describing 6 + -2x6 which equals -6.

If you had started out with zero, then the final answer would indeed be -12.
I thought about that but why do I start with 0 and not 6 since 6 is the number adjusted by -2.

pyroclasticsoul said:
why do I start with 0

Read the problem statement you wrote.

"I have 6 pencils"

The problem starts at +6 pencils.

Note -- the OP deleted their first post after getting help from Dave. This is not allowed. The OP text is restored and this thread is now closed.

Likes SammyS, Bystander and topsquark

1. How do I multiply negative numbers without using traditional rules?

To multiply negative numbers without using traditional rules, you can use the following steps:
1. Identify the two numbers you want to multiply.
2. Determine the sign of the product by considering the signs of the two numbers.
3. Multiply the absolute values of the two numbers.
4. Assign the appropriate sign to the product based on the sign rule for multiplying two negative numbers.
5. The resulting number is the product of the two negative numbers without following traditional rules.

2. Can I use a calculator to calculate negative multiplication without following traditional rules?

Yes, you can use a calculator to calculate negative multiplication without following traditional rules. Most calculators have a "negative" or "minus" sign that you can use to input negative numbers. Just follow the steps mentioned in the previous answer and use the calculator to perform the calculations.

3. What is the sign rule for multiplying two negative numbers?

The sign rule for multiplying two negative numbers is that the product of two negative numbers is always positive. This means that if you multiply two negative numbers, the resulting product will always be a positive number.

4. Is there a shortcut method for multiplying negative numbers without following traditional rules?

Yes, there is a shortcut method for multiplying negative numbers without following traditional rules. It is called the "double negative" method. In this method, you simply multiply the absolute values of the two numbers and then add a negative sign to the product. This will give you the same result as following the traditional rules.

5. Why is it important to know how to calculate negative multiplication without following traditional rules?

Knowing how to calculate negative multiplication without following traditional rules is important because it allows you to quickly and accurately perform calculations involving negative numbers. It also helps you understand the underlying concept of multiplying negative numbers and strengthens your overall understanding of mathematics.