Isobaric compression from isotherm to adiabat

In summary, the figure shows a thermodynamic process followed by 150 mg of helium, with given values for n, P1, P2, T1, T2, V1, and V2. Using the ideal gas law, the pressure at points 1 and 2 can be determined to be 3 atm and 1 atm, respectively. To find the pressure at point 3, the adiabatic process equation PVγ= constant must be used, where γ=5/3 for a monatomic gas. Using this equation, the pressure at point 3 can be solved for.
nlingraham

Homework Statement

The figure(Figure 1) shows a thermodynamic process followed by 150 mg of helium. Determine the pressure (in atm) at points 1, 2, and 3. Determine the temperature (in °C) at points 1, 2, and 3.

http://imgur.com/B7lwQ

n=.0375 mol
P1=3 atm
P2=1 atm
T1=971.85 k
T2=971.85 k
V1=1000 cm^3
V2=V3=3000 cm^3

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm only on the pressure part right now. From the given chart P1=3 atm. I used PV=nRT, and got that T1 and T2 are 971.85 K. With that, I used ideal gas law again to get that P2=1 atm. However, I don't know how to get the pressure at point 3 since I don't know the temperature at that point. It looks like it goes through an isobaric compression from the isotherm to the adiabat to me. Any help is appreciated.

(303000)(.001)=(.0375)(8.314)T, T1=T2=971.85 K

P(.003)=(.0375)(8.314)(971.85), P2=1 atm

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From 1 to 3, the He goes through an adiabatic process such that

PVγ= constant

So you will have to use this to get P3

Ok, I get the PVγ, where γ=5/3 since its a monatomic gas, but what exactly is the constant? Is that supposed to be nR?

Ok, I think I got it. So it would be P2V2γ=P1V1γ and then just solve for P2

Thank you for your help!

1. What is isobaric compression?

Isobaric compression is a thermodynamic process in which the pressure of a gas remains constant while its volume decreases. This means that the work done on the gas is equal to the change in its internal energy.

2. What is the difference between isotherm and adiabat?

An isotherm is a thermodynamic process in which the temperature of a gas remains constant while its pressure and volume may change. On the other hand, an adiabat is a process in which there is no heat exchange between the gas and its surroundings, resulting in a change in temperature while pressure and volume may also change.

3. How does isobaric compression occur from isotherm to adiabat?

Isobaric compression from isotherm to adiabat occurs when a gas is compressed at a constant pressure while also having no heat exchange with its surroundings. This results in an increase in temperature and a decrease in volume.

4. What are some real-life examples of isobaric compression?

Some common examples of isobaric compression include the compression of air in a bicycle pump, the compression of gases in a car engine, and the compression of natural gas in pipelines.

5. What is the significance of isobaric compression in thermodynamics?

Isobaric compression is an important concept in thermodynamics as it helps to explain the relationships between pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as refrigeration, to manipulate and control the properties of gases.