Isomorphism is an equivalence relation on groups

If you mention that ##f## is a group homomorphism, it implies that ##f## is compatible with the internal laws of ##G## and ##H##. If you want to be very precise, perhaps you could say that ##f## is a group homomorphism with respect to ##\star## and ##\bullet##, where ##\star## and ##\bullet## are the internal laws of ##G## and ##H##, respectively. But that's not necessary for the proof itself, only for the reader's convenience.Okay. I will keep that in mind. Thank you for the feedback!In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that isomorphism is an equivalence relation on groups
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove that isomorphism is an equivalence relation on groups.

Homework Equations

Need to prove reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity for equivalence relationship to be upheld.

**We will use ≅ to define isomorphic to**

The Attempt at a Solution

Let G, H, and K be groups.
We want to show that G≅G, G≅H, and if G≅H H≅K then G≅K.

Reflexivity: Define f:G->G by f(x)=x. we show f is an isomorphism. For x,y ∈ G if f(x) = f(y), then by definition of f we see that x=y. f is thus one to one. f(x)=x so f is onto. f(xy) = xy = f(x)f(y).
There f is an isomorphism and G≅G.

Symmetric: We assume G≅H. Then there is an isomorphism f:G->H, that is a bijection and homomorphism.
Claim: f^(-1) from H to G is an isomorphism.
Since f is a bijection, so is f^(-1).
let h, h' ∈H and g,g' ∈G. f^(-1)(h*h') = f^(-1)(h)f^(-1)(h').
Since f^(-1) is a bijection, there exists g,g'∈G such that f(g) = h and f(g') = h'.
f(gg') = f(g)f(g') = hh' => f^(-1)(hh') = gg'.
f^(-1)(h)f^(-1)(h') = gg'.
Thus, f^(-1)(hh') = f^(-1)(h)f^(-1)(h') as required. Therefore H≅G.

Transitive: Assume G≅H and H≅K, then there are isomorphisms g:G->H and f:H->K.
Claim: (g°f):G->K is an isomorphism.
The composition of two bijections is also a bijection.
For any h,h' ∈G. (g°f)(hh') = g(f(hh')) = g(f(h)f(h')) = g(f(h))g(f(h')) = (g°f)(h)(g°f)(h')
Hence, G≅K.

Thus, isomorphisms of groups is an Equivalence relationship.
Question: I am most concerned about the symmetric part. Did I do this part right?

How can I arbitrarily define isomorphisms like f:G->G by f(x)=x?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Prove that isomorphism is an equivalence relation on groups.

Homework Equations

Need to prove reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity for equivalence relationship to be upheld.

**We will use ≅ to define isomorphic to**

The Attempt at a Solution

Let G, H, and K be groups.
We want to show that G≅G, G≅H, and if G≅H H≅K then G≅K.

Reflexivity: Define f:G->G by f(x)=x. we show f is an isomorphism. For x,y ∈ G if f(x) = f(y), then by definition of f we see that x=y. f is thus one to one. f(x)=x so f is onto. f(xy) = xy = f(x)f(y).
There f is an isomorphism and G≅G.

Symmetric: We assume G≅H. Then there is an isomorphism f:G->H, that is a bijection and homomorphism.
Claim: f^(-1) from H to G is an isomorphism.
Since f is a bijection, so is f^(-1).
let h, h' ∈H and g,g' ∈G. f^(-1)(h*h') = f^(-1)(h)f^(-1)(h').
Since f^(-1) is a bijection, there exists g,g'∈G such that f(g) = h and f(g') = h'.
f(gg') = f(g)f(g') = hh' => f^(-1)(hh') = gg'.
f^(-1)(h)f^(-1)(h') = gg'.
Thus, f^(-1)(hh') = f^(-1)(h)f^(-1)(h') as required. Therefore H≅G.

Transitive: Assume G≅H and H≅K, then there are isomorphisms g:G->H and f:H->K.
Claim: (g°f):G->K is an isomorphism.
The composition of two bijections is also a bijection.
For any h,h' ∈G. (g°f)(hh') = g(f(hh')) = g(f(h)f(h')) = g(f(h))g(f(h')) = (g°f)(h)(g°f)(h')
Hence, G≅K.

Thus, isomorphisms of groups is an Equivalence relationship.
Question: I am most concerned about the symmetric part. Did I do this part right?

How can I arbitrarily define isomorphisms like f:G->G by f(x)=x?

Thank you.

It looks okay to me. I've underlined one thing that I think is superfluous. On the last question, you can say "let I or f be the identity mapping".

Likes RJLiberator
Is the underlined part due to me using an asterisk there when it is not needed?

RJLiberator said:
Is the underlined part due to me using an asterisk there when it is not needed?

The bit I underlined can all be deleted. It's not necessary. Nothing to do with the asterisk.

Likes RJLiberator
I see. Reading it through, that makes sense. Thanks.

Yes if ##f## is a group isomorphism, so is its inverse. However, you don't explicitly assign internal laws in your notations, and it can be bothering for the reader.

Likes RJLiberator
internal laws in your notations

I am unfamiliar with this term 'internal laws'

When you describe a group, you have to specify a pair ##(S,\star)##, where ##S## is a set, and ##\star : S\times S \to S ## is the composition law ( or internal law ).

Likes RJLiberator
Ahh, I get it. So you are saying, perhaps I should assign internal laws to my proofs for easier reading/ a more clear proof. Such as (S,*).

Yes, just for easier reading, not to criticize you

Likes RJLiberator

1. What is isomorphism in the context of groups?

Isomorphism is a type of relationship between two groups where there exists a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two groups, preserving the group structure and operations.

2. How is isomorphism different from homomorphism?

Isomorphism and homomorphism both describe relationships between two groups. However, isomorphism is a more specific type of homomorphism, where the function between the groups is not only a homomorphism, but also a bijection.

3. How do you prove that isomorphism is an equivalence relation?

To prove that isomorphism is an equivalence relation, you need to show that it satisfies three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. Reflexivity means that every group is isomorphic to itself. Symmetry means that if group G is isomorphic to group H, then group H is also isomorphic to group G. Transitivity means that if group G is isomorphic to group H, and group H is isomorphic to group K, then group G is also isomorphic to group K.

4. Can two groups be isomorphic even if they have different elements?

Yes, two groups can be isomorphic even if they have different elements. Isomorphism is based on the structure and operations of the group, not the specific elements. As long as there exists a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two groups that preserves the group structure and operations, the groups are considered isomorphic.

5. Are all groups that are isomorphic to each other also equal?

No, two groups that are isomorphic to each other are not necessarily equal. Isomorphism is a relationship between groups, not a statement of equality. Two groups can have the same structure and operations, but still have different elements.