1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isomorphism to C_n with n prime

1. Feb 19, 2010 #1

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove taht if the order n of a group G is a prime number, then G must be isomorphic to the cyclic group fo order n, [tex]C_n[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

We have previously proven that a group can can be written as [tex]S = \{A,A^2,A^3,A^4...,A^n = E\}[/tex] where E is the identity and the group is of order n. We also have Lagrange that tells us, in this case, the order of every element in S is n if the order is prime.

So lets say we have the group [tex] G = \{A, A^2, A^3,..,A^g\}[/tex] where G is of order g which is prime and the cyclic group [tex] C_n = \{C, C^2, C^3,...,C^n\}[/tex] where n is again the prime order of the group. By this we know that [tex]A^m \ne E , m<g[/tex] and similarly [tex]C^m \ne E ,m<n[/tex].

Now it seems like you can make an absolutely arbitrary 1 to 1 mapping from [tex] G -> C_n[/tex], so is my best bet to try to prove that it's possible to make a non-1to1 mapping and show that it must not work?
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2010 #2
    How much data about a homomorphism [tex]\varphi: G \to C_n[/tex] do you need to completely determine [tex]\varphi[/tex]? It isn't much.
  4. Feb 21, 2010 #3

Gold Member

I suppose you just need to map one element and then by construction, the rest is figured out. That is, if I pick some [tex]A_1 \epsilon G [/tex] and map it to some [tex]C_1 \epsilon C_n[/tex], then I should be able to say [tex]A_1^2 = A_2 = C_1^2=C_2[/tex] which gives me a unique mapping I would think.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook