Isospin symmetry as an ##SU(2)## symmetry

In summary: Yes, it is possible to define these generators. However, note that the operators ##T_{++}##, ##T_{+-}##, etc. are not independent, as they can be expressed in terms of the original generators ##T_{+}##, ##T_{-}##, and ##T_{3}##. Therefore, it may be more convenient to work with the original generators rather than the new ones.
spaghetti3451
The generators for the isospin symmetry are given by

$$T_{+}=|\uparrow\rangle\langle\downarrow|, \qquad T_{-}=|\downarrow\rangle\langle\uparrow|, \qquad T_{3}=\frac{1}{2}(|\uparrow\rangle\langle\uparrow|-|\downarrow\rangle\langle\downarrow|),$$

where ##|\uparrow\rangle## and ##|\downarrow\rangle## form a ##2##-dimensional basis of states.In the ##2##-dimensional basis of states ##|\uparrow\rangle## and ##|\downarrow\rangle##, the generators ##T_+##, ##T_-## and ##T_3## can be written as

$$T_{+}=\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 1\\
0 & 0\\
\end{bmatrix},\qquad T_{+}=\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0\\
1 & 0\\
\end{bmatrix},\qquad T_{3}=\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0\\
0 & -1\\
\end{bmatrix}.$$ 1. The generators ##T_+##, ##T_-## and ##T_3## obey the ##SU(2)## algebra ##[T_{i},T_{j}]=i\epsilon_{ijk}T_{k}## (with ##\epsilon_{+-3}=1##). However, I do get the correct commutation relations using the matrix representations of the generators?
2. Is it possible to rewrite the generators ##T_+##, ##T_-## and ##T_3## in terms of an arbitrary number of states?

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
The generators for the isospin symmetry are given by

$$T_{+}=|\uparrow\rangle\langle\downarrow|, \qquad T_{-}=|\downarrow\rangle\langle\uparrow|, \qquad T_{3}=\frac{1}{2}(|\uparrow\rangle\langle\uparrow|-|\downarrow\rangle\langle\downarrow|),$$

where ##|\uparrow\rangle## and ##|\downarrow\rangle## form a ##2##-dimensional basis of states.In the ##2##-dimensional basis of states ##|\uparrow\rangle## and ##|\downarrow\rangle##, the generators ##T_+##, ##T_-## and ##T_3## can be written as

$$T_{+}=\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 1\\
0 & 0\\
\end{bmatrix},\qquad T_{+}=\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0\\
1 & 0\\
\end{bmatrix},\qquad T_{3}=\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0\\
0 & -1\\
\end{bmatrix}.$$ 1. The generators ##T_+##, ##T_-## and ##T_3## obey the ##SU(2)## algebra ##[T_{i},T_{j}]=i\epsilon_{ijk}T_{k}## (with ##\epsilon_{+-3}=1##). However, I do get the correct commutation relations using the matrix representations of the generators?
2. Is it possible to rewrite the generators ##T_+##, ##T_-## and ##T_3## in terms of an arbitrary number of states?

For your first question, the SU(2) algebra your are referring to is wrong. It should be ##[T_{i},T_{j}]= i\epsilon_{ijk}T_{k}## where ##i,j,k=1, 2, 3##. Here ##T_\pm=T_1\pm i T_2##. From your representation of ##T_\pm## you can get ##T_{1,2}## and the matrices will satisfy the commutator relation.our

I don't really understand your second question. The above generators correspond to isospin ##1/2## and you can of course consider other values of ##T##, as you do for angular momentum. Is this what you mean?

Likes spaghetti3451
failexam said:
1. The generators T+T+T_+, T−T−T_- and T3T3T_3 obey the SU(2)SU(2)SU(2) algebra [Ti,Tj]=iϵijkTk[Ti,Tj]=iϵijkTk[T_{i},T_{j}]=i\epsilon_{ijk}T_{k} (with ϵ+−3=1ϵ+−3=1\epsilon_{+-3}=1).
No they don't... [itex][T_3,T_\pm] = cT_\pm[/itex]. That's the reason why the T+/- are the ladder operators.
For using commutators with matrices, just do some matrix multiplication.

failexam said:
in terms of an arbitrary number of states?
can you please clarify?

eys_physics said:
For your first question, the SU(2) algebra your are referring to is wrong. It should be ##[T_{i},T_{j}]= i\epsilon_{ijk}T_{k}## where ##i,j,k=1, 2, 3##. Here ##T_\pm=T_1\pm i T_2##. From your representation of ##T_\pm## you can get ##T_{1,2}## and the matrices will satisfy the commutator relation.our

I don't really understand your second question. The above generators correspond to isospin ##1/2## and you can of course consider other values of ##T##, as you do for angular momentum. Is this what you mean?

Yes. That is exactly what I meant.

For spin-##1/2##, we have a ##2##-dimensional matrix representation for each of the generators, and therefore two basis states. These basis states can be denoted by ##|\uparrow\rangle \equiv \begin{pmatrix} 1\\ 0\\ \end{pmatrix}## and ##|\downarrow\rangle \equiv \begin{pmatrix} 0\\ 1\\ \end{pmatrix}##.

For spin ##1## (or higher spins), we have a ##3##(or higher)-dimensional matrix representation for each of the generators, and therefore three (or more) basis states.

Am I right?

failexam said:
Yes. That is exactly what I meant.

For spin-##1/2##, we have a ##2##-dimensional matrix representation for each of the generators, and therefore two basis states. These basis states can be denoted by ##|\uparrow\rangle \equiv \begin{pmatrix} 1\\ 0\\ \end{pmatrix}## and ##|\downarrow\rangle \equiv \begin{pmatrix} 0\\ 1\\ \end{pmatrix}##.

For spin ##1## (or higher spins), we have a ##3##(or higher)-dimensional matrix representation for each of the generators, and therefore three (or more) basis states.

Am I right?

Yes. You are correct. One example with ##T=1## is the description of the pions (##\pi^\pm## and ##\pi^0##) , as one particle having three states (projections of the isospin). Notice, also that same coupling rules apply for isospin as for spin.

Say that you now have the states $$|\uparrow,\uparrow\rangle = |\uparrow\rangle\otimes|\uparrow\rangle,\qquad|\uparrow,\downarrow\rangle = |\uparrow\rangle\otimes|\downarrow\rangle,\qquad |\downarrow,\uparrow\rangle = |\downarrow\rangle\otimes|\uparrow\rangle\qquad |\downarrow,\downarrow\rangle = |\downarrow\rangle\otimes|\downarrow\rangle.$$

and you want to know how the generators ##T_+##, ##T_-## and ##T_3## act on this set of four basis states.

Is it legit to define the generators ##T_{++}##, ##T_{+-}##, ##T_{+3}##, ##T_{-+}##, ##T_{--}##, ##T_{-3}##, ##T_{3+}##, ##T_{3-}## and ##T_{33}## so that, for example,

$$T_{++}=\begin{pmatrix}T_{+} & 0\\ 0 & T_{+}\end{pmatrix}$$

and

$$T_{++}|\uparrow,\uparrow\rangle = T_{+}|\uparrow\rangle\otimes T_{+}|\uparrow\rangle$$?

1. What is isospin symmetry?

Isospin symmetry is a concept in nuclear physics that describes the similarity between protons and neutrons. It is based on the idea that these particles are actually two different states of the same fundamental particle, called the nucleon. This symmetry is described mathematically by the group ##SU(2)##.

2. Why is isospin symmetry important?

Isospin symmetry is important because it allows us to simplify the mathematical description of nuclear interactions. By treating protons and neutrons as different states of the same particle, we can use the same equations and techniques to describe their behavior. This makes it easier to study and understand nuclear structure and reactions.

3. How is isospin symmetry related to the strong force?

The strong nuclear force, which holds protons and neutrons together in the nucleus, is described by a theory called quantum chromodynamics (QCD). QCD is based on the principle of isospin symmetry, which means that the interactions between particles are the same for protons and neutrons. This allows QCD to accurately describe the behavior of these particles.

4. Is isospin symmetry exact?

No, isospin symmetry is not exact. While it is a useful approximation for understanding nuclear interactions, it does not perfectly describe the behavior of protons and neutrons. This is because protons and neutrons have slightly different masses and electric charges, which can affect their interactions.

5. How is isospin symmetry tested experimentally?

Isospin symmetry can be tested experimentally by studying the properties of nuclear systems and comparing them to the predictions of isospin symmetry. For example, scientists can measure the masses of different nuclei and compare them to the masses predicted by isospin symmetry. Any discrepancies between the two would indicate that isospin symmetry is not exact.