Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isothermal (almost) compression of gas by water injection

1. Aug 28, 2016 #1
    http://www.fluidmechanics.co.uk/
    I have found this by searching net. The inventor claimed that by using a new kind of piston fitted with fins, he achieved almost isothermal compression and greatly reduced the power consumption process. I want to know how much theoretically sound it is.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2016 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it is slow, the cylinder may be able to dissipate heat sufficiently quickly during a compression to prevent significant temperature increase. It requires much less work to compress the gas if heat is dissipated during compression to keep the temperature constant. So whether it works or not depends on how fast the compression is.

AM

4. Aug 29, 2016 #3
    What you have said is already known. But, this process is different. It's sufficiently fast (1500 rpm), but still can control the temperature rise by using water. It's the uniqueness of this technology, which is simultaneously fast and isothermal.

5. Aug 29, 2016 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought you were asking whether it is theoretically possible. It is. Whether it actually works is a different question.

AM

6. Aug 29, 2016 #5
    As per the claims on the website, they have done it.

7. Aug 29, 2016 #6

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This seems to be a detailed analysis of a water-injection-cooled compression cycle process: DEVELOPMENT OF A RECIPROCATING COMPRESSOR USING WATER INJECTION TO ACHIEVE QUASIISOTHERMAL COMPRESSION

8. Aug 29, 2016 #7

RonL

Gold Member

9. Aug 29, 2016 #8
  10. Aug 29, 2016 #9

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wet bottom compressors and compressors with water injection are old technology . Noah probably used them in his ark .

11. Aug 29, 2016 #10

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your thread title reflects exactly the topic in the white paper link provided.

12. Aug 29, 2016 #11
    Actually, I am more interested to know that whether such power consumption reduction can be achieved even for steam/vapour or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted