Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Issues concerning the 2.4 GHz band

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    I am considering making a yagi antenna for a wifi adapter and I have been warned about some possible side effects that I wanted confirmed or disproved..

I read somewhere that the 2.4GHz band also is the resonant frequency of water and is used by microwave ovens, but at a more powerful rate than wifi of course.

But considering the adapter I'm using is a 2W long range device and the antenna theoretically would boost the signal by 12-14 dB, I wanted to know if that would be able to cause headaches, vision problems and such?

Also, since it's a directional antenna, if it could cause any side effects would it only be limited to the direction of the antenna or would it also affect it's immediate surroundings?

I am no expert in this and I hope you can help me here, I will have to reconsider making it if it cooks my brain by using it...

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted