1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It is a simple Delta G naught reaction problem

1. Jul 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate Delta G naught rxn and K for the reaction:

2 Fe 3+ +2I- <--> 2 Fe 2+ +I2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I came up with -.24 V for E naught and plugged it in to ( -2*96.5*-.24) and got Delta G as 46.32 KJ but I don't know if this is right and i'm not sure if it is delta G naught rather than just delta G.

Then from that answer ( if it is right ) I put Delta G into ( Keq = e^-delta G naught/ RT) and got 8*10^-9

Please let me know if I am doing this right. It is due Monday and I need to make sure I am doing it right for final exam on Tuesday. Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2015 #2

lightgrav

Homework Helper

Try asking this in the chemistry section ... I don't have any tables (and you ignore units except for 46 kJ, which should be kJ/mole)
    ... it's been a long time, but 46 kJ/mol sounds suspiciuosly high for an iron 2 - iron 3 reaction. what the heck is 2*96.5 ???

4. Jul 25, 2015 #3

-2*96.5*-.46 is nFE Moles of electrons *Faraday's constant * E rxn and Im prett sure Volts and Moles cancel leaving
    KJ.

The Answer however does sound high to me as well though.

Is there a way to move this to chemistry thread ( I am new to this),
    or should I just go there and start new?

(Mentor Note: Moved)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2015
  5. Jul 25, 2015 #4

lightgrav

Homework Helper

ok, a Faraday is a mole of electrons, with charge 6E23e/mol*1.6E-19C/e = 96 kC/mol
    ... Energy = charge * voltage = 2e/molecule * 96 kC/mol *0.24V = 46 kJ/mole.
    the R is 8.3 J/mole*Kelvin, or =0.0083 kJ/mol*K ... so the moles cancel in the exponent, as they should.
    I get 9.5E-9 at 300 Kelvin, meaning that the "weak" ¼ volt drives the reaction essentially to completion
    (equilibrium is Temperature-dependent, but would not approach 50/50 until 5,500 Kelvin).

I don't know how to move a thread, either. sorry ; best I can do.

6. Jul 25, 2015 #5
    From my CRC Handbook:
    DeltaG0 in kcal/gmol:

Fe3+........ -2.52

Fe2+........ -20.3

I-.............. -12.35

I2.............. 4.63

Using these, I did not get your answer.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  7. Jul 25, 2015 #6
    Do you mean completion to the right in the reaction as stated? With Keq = 9.5E-9?

8. Jul 25, 2015 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

State the reaction conditions.
    Do NOT use intuition.
    Reread the problem statement as frequently as is necessary to avoid sidetracking yourselves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted