Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It's almost turkey day (in the US anyway)!

1. Nov 26, 2008 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Has to be one of my favorite holidays!

Besides expressing thanks for the previous year, the only real point to the holiday is to "eat and be merry!"

I plan to do a lot of the second, and a dangerous amount of the first!" :biggrin:

Who else finds Thanksgiving to be their favorite holiday?

To get everyone in the spirit of the holiday:

[​IMG]

:!!)That looks delicious:!!)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am so, so thankful about the outcome of the election. Really, really thankful. Words fail me.

I didn't want to be gathered around the table reassuring everyone that well, we got close, we ran a good race, we gave it our best, blah blah blah. I'm so thankful it's not going to be like that...!

4. Nov 26, 2008 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ha! Yes, that is a good thing to be thankful for!

I guess I should list things that I'm thankful for:

Physics Forums, of course!

The fact that my GRE's are over and all my grad applications are almost done!

5. Nov 26, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

When I was a kid, I didn't get much for Christmas. I loved it when my cousins came for Thanksgiving, and that was my favorite holiday.

6. Nov 27, 2008 #5

I want to eat that turkey all by myself. :!!)

7. Nov 27, 2008 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Happy Thanksgiving PFers. It's a family thing for me and I consider Physics Forums part of my family.

8. Nov 27, 2008 #7

turbo

Gold Member

It's turkey day!! I brined our turkey last night, and it is in the oven right now, along with a pumpkin pie. We'll have squash, mashed potatoes with garlic and onions, and a few other vegetables. My father is coming down for dinner, and we'll stuff ourselves and sit around playing cards or dice games for the afternoon.

9. Nov 27, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Turkeys are the only animal that give you instructions on how to eat them..."gobble gobble." :biggrin:

I'm watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade after having a nice big breakfast of an omelette, toast and coffee. I made the pies last night (though broke the crust on the apple pie getting it out of the oven :frown:...well, at least it's obvious it's homemade). I made both pumpkin and apple pies, all from scratch. I insisted on making the dessert, since last year the person who doesn't eat any sugar made the dessert and it was terrible. She was instructed to put sugar in it, but was still overly skimpy about it. She also brought some sort of cranberry jelly/relish that was also made without sugar. :yuck: She's been demoted to bringing green beans this year. :biggrin:

My friend who is hosting the gathering makes the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and bread (with her mother-in-law's help). Her bread is amazing...it's a traditional Slovakian bread and very tasty!

Christmas is still my favorite holiday, though. I LOVE decorating for Christmas.

10. Nov 27, 2008 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Thanksgiving throughout New Year is a holiday for me, Thanksgiving is just the kick-off.

I'm going to get started on my turkey soon. Both the Evo Child and Spawn are working today. Spawn will be going to her boyfriend's mom's house later and Evo child to her best friend's house who will be getting up at 4am to drive her to the airport (what a friend! :approve:). So I'm just doing a turkey, peas, and potatoes for me and my immediate family (cat & dog). :tongue:

The weather is absolutely beautiful today.

11. Nov 27, 2008 #10

Astronuc

Happy Thanksgiving, PFers!

I observed the day by cutting my thumb through the thumbnail. I was using a very sharp serrated knife to cut squash. I was pushing down hard when the piece I was holding slipped and knife went about 1/2 inch sideways through the thumb. It actually doesn't look too bad, but I've probably cut through some nerves based on the tingling feeling and partial numbness. :biggrin: Evo, please don't top that. :rofl:

12. Nov 27, 2008 #11

Evo

AARRGGGHH!!! I can feel that.

Hard squash are evil things to be feared. I say take it outside and take an axe to it. :devil:

13. Nov 27, 2008 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ow ow ow ow ow!!!! I'm cringing just thinking about it. That's going to REALLY hurt by later in the day or tomorrow.

I keep fingers away from squash. I just whack at them until I get a cut started, then only press on the knife from above. If the squash skitters away, that's fine as long as my fingers aren't under the knife.

And, I agree...nobody try to top that one! :bugeye:

14. Nov 27, 2008 #13

Evo

Okay, turkey is in the oven and the neck, heart and gizzards are simmering for the gravy. I'm making double the normal amount of gravy this year, it is just so delicious.

I'm going to go postal if the people that live above me don't move out soon. It's like living below a heard of elephants with ADD. I never heard the last family that lived there, so I have no idea what these people are doing.

I'd place my stereo speakersnear the ceiling and set the bass at the highest setting and start playing it at night REALLY LOUD (they go to bed early, but they also get up and start the stampede at 5am), but I don't want to disturb the guy next to me, he's as quiet as I am.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  15. Nov 27, 2008 #14
    Would that really help? Most probably the upstairs neighbours are decent people who have no idea that they are a burden. So retalliation may be the start of a nasty escalating feud. So when I moved into appartment building, we had the same with the neighbors, so I visited them and had a casual and friendly talk and then offered them a small present. Earphones of a few buck and explained that life could be so much friendlier if they considered using them.

Life was indeed easier after that.

16. Nov 27, 2008 #15

Evo

It's not music, is the constant banging sounds, and it's non-stop. Some lead footed person is constantly moving and dropping heavy objects. Constantly. It's bizarre. Even the Evo Child asked me what the hell was going on.

17. Nov 27, 2008 #16
    Perhaps it's still worth the try, Start the casual talk about the weather, food, travelling, then health, sleeping problems due to strange noises. Oh then you almost forgot, you brought a present: sneakers of a few dollars from the Walmart.

18. Nov 27, 2008 #17

Evo

Sneakers with 4 inches of shock absorbing foam glued to them. :mad:

Perhaps a large box of hard squash. :devil:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  19. Nov 27, 2008 #18

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hear houses are selling for cheap. Have you ever thought of moving?
    Out here in the country, I consider it noisy when the neighbors cows decide to start "mooing".

20. Nov 27, 2008 #19
    I second that, away from the horrible gorge of death and slippery submerged paths to the post box.

21. Nov 27, 2008 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm right behind you Evo - turkey's in, giblets are simmering!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?