Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I sang on tv with Arlo Guthrie.
Nooo, cranberry sauce is sacred, it should never touch meat.G01 said:Well. Thanks giving was great!
Now, there is nothing left to do but wait until tomorrow morning and have a nice turkey/stuffing/mashed potatoes/cranberry sauce sandwich for breakfast!
(Evo, now you know what to do with the leftovers tomorrow.)
Evo said:I sang on tv with Arlo Guthrie.
Evo said:Nooo, cranberry sauce is sacred, it should never touch meat.
Math Is Hard said:no turkey for me today. The kitty and I had a little bit of pork roast, though.


Moonbear said:I'm just back from dinner. We stuffed ourselves on dinner until we thought we'd pop, then had a little more wine and conversation, and stuffed ourselves on dessert until we thought we'd pop again.![]()
It's almost turkey day (in the US anyway)!
Man, where's you taste buds? If you ever ate a Thanksgiving dinner that my mother makes, you might know why we continue the tradition. And turkey and cranberry sauce are perfect together.Danger said:Hmmm... I just pulled a cold, uncooked wiener out of the fridge and ate it. I'm pretty sure that I'm just as content as you turkey gobblers.
As long as they are on separate plates and do not touch each other because "sweet + meat = not fit to eat".dlgoff said:And turkey and cranberry sauce are perfect together.

Get some dark meat, put cranberry sauce on that, and top the whole thing with turkey gravy. Mmmm!Evo said:As long as they are on separate plates and do not touch each other because "sweet + meat = not fit to eat".![]()
Happy Thnaksgiving MIH & Jellyroll!Math Is Hard said:no turkey for me today. The kitty and I had a little bit of pork roast, though.
Happy Thanksgiving, everybody.
Evo said:As long as they are on separate plates and do not touch each other because "sweet + meat = not fit to eat".![]()
(I like that cranberry jelly from a can too...no idea why, because everything about its appearance says it shouldn't be fit to eat...but I like real cranberry sauce so much better. The stuff from the can might be best spread on toast for breakfast. I was trying to be careful, but the board was a bit slippery. I was surprised how easy the knife went through the fingernail, but then I was pushing down pretty hard.Redbelly98 said:Astronuc, sorry to hear about your thumb. When I started my current job about a year ago, I kept cutting a finger every few weeks with a utility knife. Finally got into the habit of keeping all fingers behind the blade, at all times. Works wonderfully.![]()
Yep! Mayo, salt, pepper, dark meat, and cranberry sauce on rye.Astronuc said:Dark meat goes very well with cranberry sauce - on the same plate (or in the same sandwich) and in contact.
Meat and fruit can make up some of my favorites, like orange-glazed duck or baked ham studded with cloves and pineapple slices and basted with a glaze of brown sugar and pineapple juice. The left-over ham and pineapple make great pizza-toppings, too.Evo said:Jellied cranberry sauce is jellied, whole cooked cranberries or cranberry relish isn't the same. And I don't put either on my meat. The only fruit allowed on meat within 10 miles of me is lemon or lime juice. I guess this started with "Sole Veronique". Who the heck puts grapes on fish? It traumatized me as a small child and I have not allowed fruit to touch meat since.
I did eat "duck a la cerise" once, but I was on an Air France flight to Paris and I was starving.
aaarrrggghhhhh! Aaarrrggghhhhh!turbo-1 said:baked ham studded with cloves and pineapple slices and basted with a glaze of brown sugar and pineapple juice. The left-over ham and pineapple make great pizza-toppings, too.
I have had a great duck salad with a raspberry sauce, or mandarin orange chicken, or lemon chicken, or duck a l'orange, . . . .Evo said:Jellied cranberry sauce is jellied, whole cooked cranberries or cranberry relish isn't the same. And I don't put either on my meat. The only fruit allowed on meat within 10 miles of me is lemon or lime juice. I guess this started with "Sole Veronique". Who the heck puts grapes on fish?
I did eat "duck a la cerise" once, but I was on an Air France flight to Paris and I was starving.
What about honey-baked ham? Or ham roasted with pineapple rings?Food historians tell us the practice of pairing of citrus fruits with fatty meat is thousands of years old, likely originating in the Middle East. Examples are found in many cultures and cuisines. The acid in the fruit countacts the fat in the meat, making the dish more enjoyable and digestible. Think: pork & applesauce; goose & cherry sauce, fish & lemon, and duck a l'orange. About oranges.
Ducks have been consumed by humans from prehistoric times forward. They are native to most continents. Recipes evolved according to local taste. Historic notes on European duck cookery are appended to the end of this article. Bitter oranges were introduced, via Spain, in the early middle ages.
As the name suggests, Duck a l'Orange, likely originated in France. Our sources do not specific a particular region/city claiming to be the locus of origin. The Rouen, the center of French duck domestication, is a possibility. On the other hand? 19th century French recipes sometimes specify wild, not domestic, birds. Grand masters of classic French cuisine roasted ducks, noting the practice was revived from earlier times. La Varenne [1651] does not offer a recipe for Duck a l'Orange in his Cuisiner Francois. His duck is graced with a spicy pepper sauce. The earliest French recipes we find conbining ducks and oranges were published in the 19th century.
"From antiquity to our own day, in Europe and elsewhere...a number of such erudite gastronomic revolutions have taken place, the two most important of which, at least insofar as European cuisine is concerned, occurred at the beginning of the eighteenth century and at the beginning of the nineteenth. As we shall see, certain of these revolutions even represented an unwitting step backward: thus the alliance of sweet and salt, of meat and fruit (duck with peaches for instance), which today is regarded as an eccentric specialty of certain restaurants, was the rule in the Middle Ages and held sway down to the end of the seventeenth century: almost all recipes for meat up to that time contain sugar."
---Culture and Cuisine: A Journey Through the History of Food, Jean-Francois Revel, translated by Helen R. Lane [Doubleday:Garden City NY] 1982 (p. 19-20)
. . . .
You had to mention 'cloves' in front of Evo??turbo-1 said:Meat and fruit can make up some of my favorites, like orange-glazed duck or baked ham studded with cloves and pineapple slices and basted with a glaze of brown sugar and pineapple juice. The left-over ham and pineapple make great pizza-toppings, too.
Evo said:aaarrrggghhhhh! Aaarrrggghhhhh!
How on Earth can you put that kind of stuff in a sandwich? I mean physically, not taste-wise. It's all I can do to keep peanut butter from squishing out all over the place, never mind gravy.Astronuc said:I just had leftovers - a sandwich of turkey, gravy, potato, squash and cranberry sauce.