It's March 10th and my mailbox is empty

• Thread starter eastside00_99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Empty
In summary: That said, I think I will apply to Duke and see what comes back.In summary, the graduate school application process for Quaser is going well, but he is still waiting for replies from some of his preferred schools. He is considering Duke and applying there.
eastside00_99
So far in the graduate school application process this is how I stand:

illinois (accepted w/o support)
Tufts (accepted w/o support)
Duke (rejected)

-------
Haven't Heard from

University of Washington
University of Southern California
City University of New York
Rice University
Boston College
Wake ForestI have many things rattling around in my head:

(1) Why is it so late and I haven't heard back from any schools? To me, if I can draw any conclusions about how my application rates compared to others by this data, I would have to say I must be a boarder line case between admittance and rejection to most of the schools I apply to. Hence the reason for no support and for the long wait for replies on my applications from the other schools.

(2) Has anyone else had a similar experience?

(3) Say I get rejected from the remaining schools! Then I know I can get about 10-12 K from my parents for at least the first two years. Should I just take one of the offers at tufts or illinois and look for alternative forms of support to pay for the rest (such as job, loan, or something else)? Alternatively, I will have to find a job anyway and will probably still go to school at least part-time (but I would probably take undergraduate computer science courses or mathematical finance courses) unless the job is uber-terrific!

Any advice here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess also there is the option of asking to be a part-time student rather than a full-time at illinois or tufts and getting a job. That doesn't seem like all that bad of idea really. Still what do you guys think?

What are you planning to do with your life?
The job market is pretty competitive at the moment, and if you can't even find support at a grad school, then taking grad school might not be worth doing.

Well, with you CaptainQuaser, I just don't have any good options now do I? I guess there is always well-fare.

I would not pay for grad school out of your own pocket if I were you. Perhaps you can find a job that would pay for you to go back and get your Masters.

I meant the physics job market. You can get a decent job elsewhere, and perhaps even if you get a good industry job they may pay for you to continue education as Cyrus said. You shouldn't pay for grad studies out of pocket.

oh, I see. Well, I'm a math student so I definitely am not expecting a job in the physics job market.

1. Why is my mailbox empty?

There could be several reasons for your empty mailbox on March 10th. It is possible that there was no mail delivery on this day due to a holiday or postal service interruption. It could also be that your mail carrier missed your mailbox or your mail was accidentally delivered to the wrong address.

2. Is it normal for my mailbox to be empty on March 10th?

It depends on the specific circumstances. If you usually receive mail on this day and have not received any, then it may not be normal. However, if it is a holiday or there is a known delay in delivery, then it may be normal for your mailbox to be empty on March 10th.

3. What should I do if my mailbox is still empty on March 10th?

If you are expecting important mail and your mailbox is still empty on March 10th, you may want to contact your local post office or mail carrier to inquire about the status of your delivery. They may be able to provide more information or track down your missing mail.

4. Could my mail have been lost or stolen?

It is possible, but not necessarily likely, that your mail could have been lost or stolen on March 10th. If you are concerned about the security of your mail, you may want to consider installing a locked mailbox or using a P.O. Box for important mail.

5. Will my mail be delivered tomorrow if it is not delivered on March 10th?

It is likely that your mail will be delivered on the next business day if it was not delivered on March 10th. However, if there are ongoing postal delays or issues, your mail may be further delayed. You can always check with your local post office for updates on delivery schedules.