It's so nice to have friends here

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friends
In summary: Motor bike and side car.Certainly, but I can also still ride motorcycles. The problem comes with sport bikes with high peg clearances, especially in traffic when you have to stop and put feet down frequently. Cruisers and most old classic bikes - no problems. I sold my Wide-Glide simply because my friends stopped riding. Two are trying to finish off houses and the third died a year back from liver cancer. The four of us used to get together once a weekend when the weather was nice and take a scenic ride. That's a lot of friends to ride with.I care about every members, Turbo could you ride a combo?Combo?I can ride a motorcycle
turbo
Gold Member
It has been so great to have gotten to know people on this forum and to have met some in person. Due to MCS, I can travel in limited private circles, and have to avoid most public places. I have my dog and my wife and a really limited selection of friends to visit, so it's nice to have people to correspond with and meet. A friend from here has visited twice with family members, and we had a great time in both instances. My dog loves their son and would have willingly left with him. That's a big deal. Duke loves me and he likes to go for rides, but to extend that trust to a stranger... priceless.

Today, I got a nice calendar from Rhody in the mail. What a nice gesture. I'm a bit beyond the sport-bike craze at my age, but I still get a thrill out of seeing high-revving engines in light frames - especially when the aficionados are intent on stripping off resin-based body parts to replace them with carbon-fiber.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I really wish I could meet some of the PF members in person.

Hell, I probably HAVE, I just don't know it.

It goes both ways turbo. It's nice to have you here as a friend as well.

There should be a PF meet up! LOL! The problem would be that a majority of us live in different states or out of the country.

You're a great guy turbo. I still want that waterfront property you showed me years ago, is it still standing?

I enjoy the PF community as well turbo. Are you still able to ride dirtbikes or mountain bikes?

dlgoff said:
It goes both ways turbo. It's nice to have you here as a friend as well.

Seconded. :)

berkeman said:
I enjoy the PF community as well turbo. Are you still able to ride dirtbikes or mountain bikes?
I had a mild stroke years ago due to medication that sent my heart into a-fib. That screwed up my joint-position feedback in one leg, so I hung up my mountain bike. Bleh! Too bad, because we ended up with this place on ITS 87. Instant access to unlimited miles of trails.

Char. Limit said:

I met a PFer a few months ago, but didn't know it. He sent me a PM recently to ask if I was who he thought I was, and I was! So I've met one so far - cool! I'd really like to meet more, or confirm that I already have.

Ivan92 said:
There should be a PF meet up! LOL! The problem would be that a majority of us live in different states or out of the country.

What a weird socio-centrist statement. How could a majority of us live "out of the country?"

Anyway. Yeah. You guys are pretty okay.

I know two PFers in person. Including me, that's even three. But after excluding those obvious and those I don't care about, I know no one.

Edit: I don't remember how many times we talked about the idea of meeting, in US or in Europe.

Oh, and it is nice to know you Turbo even just on line.

Borek said:
I know two PFers in person. Including me, that's even three. But after excluding those obvious and those I don't care about, I know no one.

Edit: I don't remember how many times we talked about the idea of meeting, in US or in Europe.

Ooops! you're not a commoner. You need to "care about" all the members. :smile:

To all have participated, thank you. PF is a wonderful place.

Lacy33 said:
Ooops! you're not a commoner. You need to "care about" all the members. :smile:

I care about every members members, Turbo could you ride a combo?

Combo?

FlexGunship said:
What a weird socio-centrist statement. How could a majority of us live "out of the country?"

Anyway. Yeah. You guys are pretty okay.

If you live in the city, you live out of the country. Would you say it's reasonable to assume that most PFers live in the city?

turbo-1 said:
Combo?

Motor bike and side car.

wolram said:
Motor bike and side car.
Certainly, but I can also still ride motorcycles. The problem comes with sport bikes with high peg clearances, especially in traffic when you have to stop and put feet down frequently. Cruisers and most old classic bikes - no problems. I sold my Wide-Glide simply because my friends stopped riding. Two are trying to finish off houses and the third died a year back from liver cancer. The four of us used to get together once a weekend when the weather was nice and take a scenic ride with our wives on back.

:) this is nice. pf is a nice place. thanks everyone.

turbo-1 said:
It has been so great to have gotten to know people on this forum and to have met some in person.

Today, I got a nice calendar from Rhody in the mail. What a nice gesture. I'm a bit beyond the sport-bike craze at my age, but I still get a thrill out of seeing high-revving engines in light frames - especially when the aficionados are intent on stripping off resin-based body parts to replace them with carbon-fiber.
turbo-1 said:
Certainly, but I can also still ride motorcycles. The problem comes with sport bikes with high peg clearances, especially in traffic when you have to stop and put feet down frequently. Cruisers and most old classic bikes - no problems. I sold my Wide-Glide simply because my friends stopped riding. Two are trying to finish off houses and the third died a year back from liver cancer. The four of us used to get together once a weekend when the weather was nice and take a scenic ride with our wives on back.

Turbo and to all,

I am a relative new comer here since 03/09, was a lurker for about six months before joining. That being said, I have posted about things that I am passionate about and learned about subjects I never would have otherwise. Over time, I have made a number of PF friends here, a tight run forum, with a core of knowledgeable members and a great mentor staff and homework helpers, what more could one ask for.

My FJR does not have high pegs and would be ideal for yourself and your wife to take a spin next spring/summer. The offers stands, the bike is easy to ride, very forgiving, although a bit of the beast lurks above 6500 rpm. Just to add a bit of excitement to your day, if you so desire. Second, the Pirelli Diablo Strada's I use for tires are bar none the best I have found, they don't break loose easily, and when they do, it is a piece of cake to "gather it back in" so to speak.

Rhody... :wink:

P.S. You have 4 to 6 months to rehab that bum leg, a short term goal/challenge for you. hehe. I hope you take it.

rhody said:
P.S. You have 4 to 6 months to rehab that bum leg, a short term goal/challenge for you. hehe. I hope you take it.
Thank you so much Rhody. The problem is that the damage is not in my leg, nor can it be rehabilitated out. The damage is in my brain-stem. I lost joint-position feedback in my left leg and temperature-sensation in the right leg. Plus, my right foot burns like it's on a BBQ all the time. My neurologist was supportive but blunt. She said stuff like "If your right leg was lost in an accident, your foot would still burn for the rest of your life. The damage is not there."

I re-learned how to walk on flat floors within 3-4 days, though even today (many years later), uneven ground or poor lighting make it very difficult to maintain balance with the left foot. I adapted to riding cruisers with forward controls - a brief fling with a bagger was not as successful. I never dropped it, but never got comfortable with it either.

Evo said:
You're a great guy turbo. I still want that waterfront property you showed me years ago, is it still standing?
Thanks, Evo. I didn't get to that remote pond last summer, but given the state of disrepair the last time I was there, I'd be surprised if there was anything that is standing as opposed to lying. I would love to buy that property and put a modest camp there. I love fishing that pond.

Borek said:
Same here. I'd love it if you and Marzena lived nearby - I know some pretty photogenic places near here.

I love PF, I love the people on PF, I love talking, learning, discussing, and laughing on PF. This place sounds pretty ideal and perfect to me :). It's awesome having you on here too turbo! Anyways the only person I know that lives near me is DaveC426913 but it would be very strange if we met up - he's about thirty minutes away to the north-east. I'm certain that there is a 20-30 year age separation so that's probably not going to happen. Does anybody else live in or near Toronto?

Kevin_Axion said:
I love PF, I love the people on PF, I love talking, learning, discussing, and laughing on PF. This place sounds pretty ideal and perfect to me :). It's awesome having you on here too turbo! Anyways the only person I know that lives near me is DaveC426913 but it would be very strange if we met up - he's about thirty minutes away to the north-east. I'm certain that there is a 20-30 year age separation so that's probably not going to happen. Does anybody else live in or near Toronto?
I'm not that far from Toronto (hours only), but due to an old infraction, I'd probably be unable to cross into Canada anymore.

Interesting, where are you from? Michigan, New York, Ohio?

Maine. Just a short shot up the St. Lawrence Seaway. When I visited clients in NY, I'd often cross into Canada and drop in at Thousand Islands. Saved me a lot of driving-time.

Char. Limit said:

I've met three. It's much over-rated. They are either way taller, way shorter, or, way more something else than you expected.

Then there's the gift exchange thing...

Tsu got a 6 week old postcard that had been in my pocket for what seemed like 12 months, and I got vintage, 80 year old mint postcard from...

Well, let's just say, I owe her a few of my finest vintage postcards...

:redface:

I agree, turbo. :smile:

I've met many people in real life that I found on the internet and they were exactly the same in person as they were online. But then I am an incredibly good judge of people.

Evo said:
I've met many people in real life that I found on the internet and they were exactly the same in person as they were online. But then I am an incredibly good judge of people.
I have had very good luck in that regard, too. Years back, I made friends with a fellow amp-geek that had an idea for a new 2x10 guitar combo. Another internet-friend from CA happened to go to NJ and meet up with him, and he was raving about the sound of the prototype. I spent hours on the phone with him explaining what I wanted in an amp. The production model (I have serial #2) was/is fantastic, and the amp got very good reviews in Guitar Player magazine. I played a semi-hollow guitar through it with no effects pedals at an annual biker-bash, and bikers that I hadn't seen for a year were coming up to me and asking what I was doing that was different. That alone was remarkable.

I had one of the other guitarists play my equipment while I took a beer-break, and I could see what the big deal was. Outdoor amp tone without a stand-alone sound-board and reinforcement can be tough. That little amp nailed it.

He and his wife and their two little girls came to visit us on their vacations two years in a row, and we had a great time. Great people!

It is nice to have your friendship, turbo. Give your pup a pat for me.

Math Is Hard said:
It is nice to have your friendship, turbo. Give your pup a pat for me.
Duke says "woof!".

And thanks. It's nice to have friends - even remote friends.

What does "It's so nice to have friends here" mean?

"It's so nice to have friends here" is a statement expressing gratitude for the presence and companionship of friends in a particular location or situation.

Why is it important to have friends?

Having friends is important for many reasons, including providing emotional support, companionship, and a sense of belonging. Friends can also help us grow and learn, and can provide different perspectives and experiences.

How do friends impact our lives?

Friends can have a significant impact on our lives, both positively and negatively. They can influence our thoughts, behaviors, and emotions, and can also provide social support, advice, and companionship.

What are some ways to make new friends?

Some ways to make new friends include joining clubs or groups related to your interests, volunteering, attending social events, and reaching out to acquaintances or coworkers. It's also important to be open-minded, friendly, and genuine when meeting new people.

How can we maintain strong friendships?

Maintaining strong friendships requires effort and communication. It's important to make time for friends, listen to them, and support them. It's also important to be honest, understanding, and forgiving in order to maintain healthy and lasting friendships.