I've dumped video games for physics

In summary: Since I sit at my computer all day I don't want to play games there, so I only play PS2, which is why I would add to your list "Call of Duty" (can't wait!) and and the new "Ratchet and Clank."
Tatum
I've dumped video games for physics...

and chemistry and calculus. Basically I'm concentrating on school and surprisingly having fun with this stuff. Especially Physics. Isn't that cool? :smile:

Likes ISamson
Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, right after Halo 2 and Half-life 2 are released...

Well, real life is the ultimate videogame...

meteor said:

I can't agree with that more! After I realized that I quit games cold turkey and began to read a lot more.

Also, Tatum. I would recommend something to you. Every once in awhile, maybe once or twice a week, attempt a very difficult problem. Don't spend too much time unsucessfully manipulating the problem, but check it out, attempt it, and think about it for a while. Come back later, maybe the next day, and try it again. I've discovered that I can do almost any problem I come across this way, as long as I understand the notation and be patient with it.

That's another thing. Understand and memorize the basic postulates, assumptions, results, and definitions. EVERYTHING you do in calculus you will see again. If you already know the basics, you can learn to figure out the most difficult problems on your own.

After I got hooked to PF...like really hooked, I uninstalled my complete Medal of Honor pack.

Now there simply isn't time for both, so I had to pick one...

Likes ISamson
Also, Tatum. I would recommend something to you. Every once in awhile, maybe once or twice a week, attempt a very difficult problem

Thanks. It's funny because I was going to post a physics problem I was having trouble with but now I think I'll just think about it and go over it again.

Congradulations tatum. Video games are such a waste of time. I can't believe so many people spend massive amounts of time playing video games. I just got digital t.v. because I wanted Tech TV, but all that they talk about on that channel is video games. I just don't get it. I am glad that I got Discovery Science channel with digital cable though.

Congradulations tatum. Video games are such a waste of time. I can't believe so many people spend massive amounts of time playing video games. I just got digital cable because I wanted Tech TV, but all that they talk about on that channel is video games. I just don't get it. I am glad that I got Discovery Science channel with digital cable though.
People spend hours playing these video games and they have nothing to show for it, except high scores. But unfortunatly high scores on video games are not going to make you money or make you smarter.

I used to play a variety of video games; and was actually quite good at many of them.

Now that i have school again, i really can not find much time for uber success in both video games and school. :(

I used to play a lot of RPG, like "Eye of the Beholder", "Elvira", "lord of the rings", "Ishar",... Also strategy games. Now it's more than a year since i don't play any videogame, and its my will to follow this attittude.

meteor said:

Are there any cheats for that game? I sure as hell could use some.

Are there any cheats for that game?
Yeah, there are some; one is: "Get all the money that you can". Unfortunately, life is a videogame that our generation (and the next, and the next) is condemned to lose, at least is how I see it

I keep telling myself to uninstall all of my video games, but then I say "just one more time" and end up keeping it.

dduardo said:

I can't wait for Doom 3 to be out on xbox. I couldn't live without my video games, they are the only things that keep me sane after a crappy day at work.

jimmy p said:
I can't wait for Doom 3 to be out on xbox. I couldn't live without my video games, they are the only things that keep me sane after a crappy day at work.

Blowing monster's brains out helps keep me sane, too.

I need video games or else I will explode, that happens to me sometimes...

DarkAnt said:
I need video games or else I will explode, that happens to me sometimes...

So how do you get together again? You implode?

pace said:
So how do you get together again? You implode?
LOL, it's possible but highly unlikely. :biggrin:

dduardo said:

Since I sit at my computer all day I don't want to play games there, so I only play PS2, which is why I would add to your list "Call of Duty" (can't wait!) and and the new "Ratchet and Clank."

Maybe for those needing to focus on schoolwork, and after being a bit addicted to video games, it is now a good thing to drop them for awhile and get into one's studies. But I think gaming can be great fun for those who have done their work for the day (whatever that is) and then are able to play. I'm 57 yo now, and some might say it's time to grow up. But I hope I never lose my desire to play (and I don't just mean video games).

Call of Duty was cool! And it's expansion is supposed to be good too! But even harder, so that you had to do the quests too much. So you should maybe try setting a lower difficulty.

I play little computer games these days, mostly tetris. But I talk way too much on forums. :redface:

pace said:
I play little computer games these days, mostly tetris. But I talk way too much on forums. :redface:

My computer is all I have to play newly realsed games now. My brother has a PS2, but I can hardly get at it. Last game I got was Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.

Chrono said:
Last game I got was Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.
That is the main game I play when I do.

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
That is the main game I play when I do.

That game rules. Though, I haven't played it in a while.

Chrono said:
That game rules. Though, I haven't played it in a while.
Me neither but I intend to start again.

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
Me neither but I intend to start again.

I should probably finish my rousing game of "Calculus III" before I start that again. Who knows when I'll be able to put it down again.

1. Why did you stop playing video games for physics?

I have always been interested in science and the mysteries of the universe. I found that playing video games was taking up too much of my time and I wanted to focus more on my passion for physics.

2. How has your life changed since giving up video games for physics?

I feel more fulfilled and productive since giving up video games. I have been able to dive deeper into my studies and make progress towards my career goals in the field of physics.

3. Do you regret giving up video games for physics?

No, I do not regret my decision at all. While I enjoyed playing video games, I have found even more enjoyment and satisfaction in studying and conducting experiments in the field of physics.

4. What advice do you have for others who are considering giving up video games for a career in science?

My advice would be to follow your passions and do what makes you happy. If you are truly interested in science and want to pursue a career in it, don't let anything hold you back, including video games.

5. How can someone make the transition from playing video games to studying physics?

The key is to find a balance between leisure activities and studying. Start by setting aside specific times for studying and stick to a schedule. Also, try to find ways to make studying physics more enjoyable, such as attending science fairs or joining science clubs.