Help learning physics through games?

In summary, according to @fresh_42, playing video games or board games with friends is not a good way to learn physics. He recommends taking a textbook and learning by carefully reading and scribbling in it. Additionally, he suggests joining a Physics Club at your school.
Schlubber
Summary: Anyone know any games that legitimately help when trying to understand basic concepts of physics?

So I've been into studying physics for a while now but i feel like my attention span is holding me back. Almost nothing sticks. I always end up getting bored and playing video games or board games with my friends. I was hoping someone knew of some good board/video games that legitimately help with understanding physics? At least that way i can feel like I'm making some progress in my downtime.

I've read a few articles about Board Games about Science that have been fairly helpful but i was hoping someone here has first hand experience and can recommend something that actually works?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I actually doubt that this would work. A short attention span will likewise hinder you from getting stuff stuck.

E.g. I play chess on the internet, or better I blitz. This means I make a lot of stupid errors because I don't take the time to calculate moves, or worse, even look at what my computer opponent did. I rather start a new game or reverse an idiotic move than to invest patience for analysis. Something I would certainly do if it was live and with a human being at the other side of the board. As a consequence, I do not improve, I only learn how the computer algorithm works and how I can use this for little advantages.

I'm absolutely convinced that this describes what would utterly happen in the situation of your proposed solution "physics by gaming".

They are simply two different qualities: understanding concepts and principles versus physical reaction. There is no way - in my opinion - other than to take a textbook and learn by carefully reading and - most important - a lot of scribbling, maybe in studying groups with your friends. And you will have to write a lot! The best you can do is actually find authors which write in a way which excites you and keep you curious.

Last edited:
Likes DEvens, Klystron, sophiecentaur and 2 others
Schlubber said:
So I've been into studying physics for a while now but i feel like my attention span is holding me back. Almost nothing sticks. I always end up getting bored and playing video games or board games with my friends. I was hoping someone knew of some good board/video games that legitimately help with understanding physics?
I agree with @fresh_42 here. Apparently your priority is playing video games or board games with your friends. After something changes in your life (like working at an unrewarding, poorly paid job), you might find that your priorities change, as well.

Long ago, Ptolemy, who would become the ruler of Egypt, asked Euclid if there wasn't an easier way to learn geometry. Euclid is said to have replied, "There is no royal road to geometry." Replace "geometry" with "physics," and you have pretty much your situation.

Likes Klystron, berkeman, sophiecentaur and 3 others
Schlubber said:
I was hoping someone knew of some good board/video games that legitimately help with understanding physics?
Your problem with that is that games involve simulations that 'look convincing' enough to allow the player to accept and enjoy the virtual world they are in. There is no point in the code writers to follow the niceties of Physics when a near enough presentation is accepted by the players with a fraction of the processor load that would be needed to 'do it properly'.

There have always been distractions to take our interest away from academic work. For me, in the 50s and 60s it was music, alcohol and girls and I only just managed to do sufficiently well.

You have some choices to make, I'm afraid.

Likes Dr. Courtney and berkeman
Schlubber said:
So I've been into studying physics for a while now but i feel like my attention span is holding me back. Almost nothing sticks. I always end up getting bored and playing video games or board games with my friends. I was hoping someone knew of some good board/video games that legitimately help with understanding physics? At least that way i can feel like I'm making some progress in my downtime.
What do you mean by "studying physics"? Have you finished high school yet? If not, keep taking physics and math classes, and do your best in them. Also join the Physics Club at your school, if there is one.

If you are done with high school, are you self-studying subjects that you are interested in? Did you take any basic Physics classes in high school? If not, consider enrolling in an online course, or taking some classes at your local community college (if you are in the US). The discipline imposed by having regular homework assignments is a good way to force you to break the video game distraction habit, IMO.

:smile:

Likes Vanadium 50 and Dr. Courtney

1. How can games help with learning physics?

Games can help with learning physics by providing a fun and interactive way to understand complex concepts. They can also help with visualization, problem-solving skills, and critical thinking.

2. What types of games are best for learning physics?

Games that involve physics-based puzzles, simulations, or challenges are typically the most effective for learning physics. These types of games allow players to experiment with different scenarios and see how physics concepts apply in real-world situations.

3. Can games replace traditional teaching methods in physics education?

No, games cannot replace traditional teaching methods entirely. However, they can be a valuable supplement to traditional lectures and hands-on experiments. Games can provide a different perspective and engage students in a more interactive and enjoyable way.

4. Are there any downsides to using games for learning physics?

One potential downside is that games may oversimplify or distort certain physics concepts. It is important for educators to choose games that accurately represent the principles they are trying to teach. Additionally, excessive use of games may lead to a lack of understanding of the underlying principles.

5. How can educators incorporate games into their physics curriculum?

Educators can incorporate games into their physics curriculum by using them as supplemental activities, homework assignments, or review exercises. They can also encourage students to create their own physics-based games as a project or assignment. It is important to choose games that align with the learning objectives of the curriculum and provide proper guidance and context for the students.