I've gotten stuck with a bit of dirac notation calculation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the usage of bras and kets in linear algebra and how they can be added together. The uncertainty principle is mentioned as an example and the conversation delves into the proper way to add bras and kets together to get the desired result. The conversation ultimately concludes that linear algebra still works and it was a simple mistake that caused confusion.
jeebs
sorry if this looks ugly but I couldn't find out how to write out bras and kets on the Latex thing.

I have these inner products
<f|g> = i<x|(AB - A<B> - <A>B + <A><B>)|x>
and
<g|f> = -i<x|(BA - B<A> - <B>A + <A><B>)|x>
where |x> is some arbitrary ket and A and B do not commute.

I'm trying to follow a derivation of the uncertainty principle that has a step which involves getting
<f|g> + <g|f> = i<x|[A,B]|x>,
but I'm not sure how to add the two things together.

I tried to see if it was allowed that, say, <x|M|x> + <x|N|x> = <x|(M+N)|x>, but that didn't work, and I tested this with a real numerical example so that definitely doesn't work. I need to somehow end up with
<f|g> + <g|f> = i<x|(AB - BA)|x>
but I haven't seen how objects like these add together before.
How is this done?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Err, aren't bras and kets linear?
I.e. (A + B)|x> = A|x> + B|x> and <x|(m |y> + n |z>) = m <x|y> + n <x|z>?

So then what you claim not to be true (<x|M + N|y> = <x|M|y> + <x|N|y>) is actually true, and the proof consists of adding up the first two expressions in your post.

CompuChip said:
Err, aren't bras and kets linear?
I.e. (A + B)|x> = A|x> + B|x> and <x|(m |y> + n |z>) = m <x|y> + n <x|z>?

So then what you claim not to be true (<x|M + N|y> = <x|M|y> + <x|N|y>) is actually true, and the proof consists of adding up the first two expressions in your post.

ahh I think I know where I went wrong. I worked out M|x>, then <x|M|x>, did the same for N, then added M+N and then calculated (M+N)|x> and finally <x|(M+N)|x>. That definitely didn't give <x|(M+N)|x> = <x|M|x> + <x|N|x>.

I still think it shouldn't matter.
Basically, <x|M|x> means nothing other than M(x) in function notation, and the sum of two functions M and N is defined as (M + N)(x) = M(x) + N(x).
If you first add two linear operators, evaluate them on an element and choose a basis, or first choose a basis (the same for both, obviously), evaluate them on an element and add the results, should not matter.

Or, if you prefer to look at it as an (uncountably-dimensionally) matrix operation, <x|M|y> is just the element in position (x, y) of the matrix M, and you know how adding matrices works.

jeebs said:
...That definitely didn't give <x|(M+N)|x> = <x|M|x> + <x|N|x>.
It should have. How are you parsing this?

In general:
i.) [tex]\langle x | (|y\rangle + |z\rangle) = \langle x|y\rangle +\langle x |z\rangle[/tex]
ii.) [tex](\langle x| + \langle y|)|z\rangle = \langle x|z\rangle +\langle y |z\rangle[/tex]
iii.) [tex]\langle x | (M + N) = \langle x|M +\langle x |N[/tex]
iv.) [tex](M+N)|x\rangle = \langle M|x\rangle +\langle N |x\rangle[/tex]
By what you said you tried, combining the i. and iii. or combining ii. and iv. should give what you didn't.

BTW, typesetting math Example:
{tex} \langle x | (M+N) | x\rangle = \langle x | M | x\rangle + \langle x | N | x \rangle {/ tex}
with {}--> [] gives
gives
[tex] \langle x | (M+N) | x\rangle = \langle x | M | x\rangle + \langle x | N | x \rangle [/tex]

[tex] | x\rangle = \left(\begin{array}{c}1&2\end{array}\right)[/tex], [tex] M = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1&2\\2&1\end{array}\right)[/tex], [tex] N = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\1&0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex] M| x\rangle = \left(\begin{array}{c}5\\4\end{array}\right)[/tex]
[tex] N| x\rangle = \left(\begin{array}{c}1\\1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex] \langle x |M| x\rangle =13[/tex],
[tex] \langle x |N| x\rangle =3[/tex],
[tex] \langle x |N| x\rangle + \langle x |M| x\rangle = 16[/tex]

[tex] M+N = \left(\begin{array}{cc}2&2\\3&1\end{array}\right)[/tex]
[tex] (M+N)| x\rangle = \left(\begin{array}{c}6\\5\end{array}\right)[/tex]
[tex] \langle x |(M+N)| x\rangle =16[/tex]

heh, looks like it does work after all... what the hell is wrong with me...

Last edited:
Phew, what a relief... linear algebra still works! :D

1. What is dirac notation?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent the state of a quantum system. It uses the symbols | and < to represent the "ket" and "bra" vectors, respectively.

2. How do I perform calculations using dirac notation?

To perform calculations using dirac notation, you can use the rules of linear algebra. For example, to multiply two operators, you can use the associative property and the distributive property.

3. What are the benefits of using dirac notation?

Dirac notation allows for a more concise and elegant representation of quantum systems, making it easier to perform calculations and understand complex quantum concepts. It also allows for the use of linear algebra, which is a well-established and powerful mathematical tool.

4. Can I use dirac notation for any type of quantum system?

Yes, dirac notation can be used for any type of quantum system, whether it is a single particle or a multi-particle system. It is a universal notation that is widely used in quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using dirac notation?

One common mistake is forgetting to normalize the vectors in dirac notation. Normalization is an important step in quantum mechanics and ensures that the probabilities of different outcomes add up to one. Another mistake is using the wrong mathematical operations, so it is important to have a good understanding of linear algebra when using dirac notation.