Find the probability of a particle in the left half of an Infinite Square well

In summary, the author is trying to find a solution to a problem using the definition of stationary states, Dirac notation, and the trig identities. If the problem is not possible to solve using these methods, the author asks how to use the hint. If the problem can be solved with the hint, the author asks how to use it.
Moolisa
Homework Statement
Image of problem in Attempt

At t = 0, a particle of mass m in an infinite square well with walls at
x = 0, x=a, is in a superposition of the (normalized) first and third stationary states
##\Psi(x,0)=A(2\psi_1(x)-i\psi_3(x))##
(a) What must A be in order for Ψ to be a normalized wavefunction?
##A=1/\sqrt5##
(b) What is the probability that the particle is in the left half of the box
(i.e.,between x = 0 and x = a/2) at t = 0?
Hint: Instead of trying to do a complicated integral directly, notice that for odd n,##\psi_n(x)=\psi_n(a-x)~\text{for}~0\leq x\leq a~\text{ You can use this to relate} \int_0^{{a/2}} \psi^*_m\psi_n\, dx~to\int_0^{{a}} \psi^*_m\psi_n\, dx~\text{when m, n are both odd.}##

Question 1: Is it possible to do this in a simpler way? Perhaps using dirac notation?
Question 2: How do I use the hint
Relevant Equations
Stationary state of an infinite square well
##\psi_n(x)=\sqrt{\frac {2} {a}} ~~ sin(\frac {n\pi x} {a})##
rewt.jpg

Attempt: I'm sure I know how to do this the long way using the definition of stationary states(##\psi_n(x)=\sqrt{\frac {2} {a}} ~~ sin(\frac {n\pi x} {a})## and ##\int_0^{{a/2}} {\frac {2} {a}}(1/5)\left[~ \left(2sin(\frac {\pi x} {a})+i~ sin(\frac {3\pi x} {a})\right)\left( 2sin(\frac {\pi x} {a})-i ~sin(\frac {3\pi x} {a})\right)\right]dx ## then combining and using trig identities then integrate

But
Assuming my A is correct, I actually have 2 questions about part (b). One is about how to use the hint, the other if it is possible to find this using another method
Question 1: Is it possible to do this in a simpler way? Perhaps using dirac notation?
I tried ##1/5\langle \Psi|(2\psi_1-i\psi_3)|\Psi\rangle##
If this is possible and the correct set up, how do I continue? Do I try to separate them? We just learned this week, so I am still pretty confused about it
If not possible to use, why?
Question 2: How can I use the hint
I want to understand how to do it according to the hint, if I use the hint does this mean

##\int_0^{{a/2}} {\frac {2} {a}}(1/5)\left[~ \left(2sin(\frac {\pi (x-(a/2))} {a})+i~ sin(\frac {3\pi (x-(a/2))} {a})\right)\left( 2sin(\frac {\pi (x-(a/2))} {a})-i ~sin(\frac {3\pi (x-(a/2))} {a})\right)\right]dx ##

I'm assuming this is wrong because I don't see how this makes it any simpler unless I'm missing something crucial

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Moolisa said:
At t = 0, a particle of mass m in an infinite square well with walls at
x = 0
Where is the 2nd wall? Or is it at infinity? Sorry, your statement is a bit confusing to me...

berkeman said:
Where is the 2nd wall? Or is it at infinity? Sorry, your statement is a bit confusing to me...
Sorry, I should have been more careful!

Walls are at x=0 to x=a

Likes berkeman
Set up the integral for the probability integral using ##\psi_1## and ##\psi_3## without substituting the actual forms of those wavefunctions. Multiply out the parentheses to get a sum of integrals.

I think the hint has a typographical error, and it should read "##\psi_n(x) = \psi_n(a-x)##". It's a statement about the symmetry of those wavefunctions. Using the complete hint, you should be able to change the limits on the integrals and put them in a form that you can write down the values immediately without having to plug in the wavefunctions and grind them out. Hint: the wavefunctions are normalized!

Likes Moolisa and Abhishek11235

What is an Infinite Square Well?

An Infinite Square Well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe a particle confined to a finite region of space. It is often used to simplify the study of quantum systems with a finite potential.

What is the probability of a particle being in the left half of an Infinite Square Well?

The probability of a particle being in the left half of an Infinite Square Well depends on the size of the well and the energy of the particle. It can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation and is represented by the wave function.

What factors affect the probability of a particle being in the left half of an Infinite Square Well?

The probability of a particle being in the left half of an Infinite Square Well is affected by the width of the well, the energy of the particle, and the shape and height of the potential barrier.

How is the probability distribution of a particle in an Infinite Square Well graphically represented?

The probability distribution of a particle in an Infinite Square Well is graphically represented by a square wave function. The height of the wave indicates the probability of finding the particle in a given position within the well.

Can the probability of a particle being in the left half of an Infinite Square Well be greater than 50%?

No, the probability of a particle being in the left half of an Infinite Square Well cannot be greater than 50%. This is because the total probability of finding the particle in either the left or right half of the well must equal 100%.